Finding KBG seed 2022

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
gryd
Grass Type: Elite Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Finding KBG seed 2022

Post by gryd » May 29th, 2022, 5:20 pm

In case you haven’t noticed, there appears to be a shortage of Kentucky Bluegrass seed this year. That said you can still find enough seed for a renovation if you don’t mind spending a bit more and purchasing seed from more than one source.

If you are looking for Bewitched you’ll have to settle for Blue Tag certified at either Preferred Seed or Stover seed. Preferred Seed also has Midnight, Award and Blueberry. Keep in mind that they sell certified seed, not sod quality.

You can find Prosperity and Moonlight SLT at Pawnee Butte Seeds.

You can find Moonlight SLT and Mazama at Williams Lawn Seed.

There’s enough to choose from if you are considering doing a renovation this year but I would purchase sooner than later. Prices are also higher this year.

I personally bought some Bewitched and I’ll buy some Mazama and Moonlight SLT to seed a couple spots in back. I’m also buying enough for my 2023 side yard renovation (Bewitched, Mazama and Moonlight SLT) in case I can’t find anything I want next year.

If anyone has sourced out KBG seed please feel free to add to this post.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Re: Finding KBG seed 2022

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 30th, 2022, 2:22 pm

Thanks, gryd, for posting about what you were able to find available for this year! I don't have any renovations plans, and do have some Bewitched and Prosperity from a few years ago that I had "just in case" but never needed to sow anywhere...

gryd

Post by gryd » July 11th, 2022, 1:08 am

So, I ordered Mazama and Midnight SLT from Williams Lawn Seed. Stover Seed has certified Bewitched so I ordered that as well. I plan on doing one small area in a couple weeks. I’ll do the rest of my side yard next year so I bought enough seed for that. I’m having major back problems this summer so I’ll do the harder section next year.

I don’t see much seed out there. Preferred Seed has some cultivars left. Pawnee Butte Seeds had Prosperity a few weeks back. It’s going to be a tough year for renovations but there still are some choices.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » July 12th, 2022, 11:28 pm

Greg,

Thanks. The Bewitched at Stover Seed--when you certified, what do you mean specifically? Also, I'm not familiar with them. Did they have a minimum order quantity? Seems like most places are 10 lbs and up these days. Thanks!

gryd

Post by gryd » July 25th, 2022, 6:53 pm

Green wrote:
July 12th, 2022, 11:28 pm
Greg,

Thanks. The Bewitched at Stover Seed--when you certified, what do you mean specifically? Also, I'm not familiar with them. Did they have a minimum order quantity? Seems like most places are 10 lbs and up these days. Thanks!
I was able to order 10 lbs of Blue Tag Certified Bewitched.

gryd

Post by gryd » July 31st, 2022, 4:25 pm

How did you 2022 renovators manage to get seed? There’s still some options out there but this is a brutal year to find sod quality seed. Certified, Blue Tag, seed is easier to find. I managed to buy Bewitched, Mazama and Moonlight SLT. I’m only doing a small area this year but I purchased enough seed to redo a 3,0000 square foot section next year.

Williams still has Mazama and Moonlight SLT (sod quality). Stover has certified Bewitched. Preferred Seed still seems to have some certified cultivars.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by DevilDawg81 » August 1st, 2022, 9:23 pm

Picked up seed from Preferred Seed.

Noticed SeedSuperStore has their Sunny blend back in stock (they’ve been out since March).

gryd

Post by gryd » August 8th, 2022, 5:06 pm

DevilDawg81 wrote:
August 1st, 2022, 9:23 pm
Picked up seed from Preferred Seed.

Noticed SeedSuperStore has their Sunny blend back in stock (they’ve been out since March).
Their Sunny Mix has Mazama KBG. Too bad they don’t sell it separately. I have Mazama growing in back. It’s a gorgeous dark green and does incredible in shade. Better than Bewitched IMO. I’m seeding an area with it later this week. I bought enough to seed another area next year. I’m blending it with Bewitched and Moonlight SLT.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by DevilDawg81 » August 8th, 2022, 9:25 pm

I’ve been really happy with their Sunny mix. It has a great look to it and feels great to walk on. I like the Manama and Midnight in it

We’ve had an incredibly wet summer, and I am mowing every 3 days (sometimes every other).