Milorganite for Soil Prior to Seeding?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
drgolf
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

Milorganite for Soil Prior to Seeding?

Post by drgolf » June 9th, 2022, 10:58 pm

You guys convinced me to wait to seed my "new" lawn till August (Michigan). So now that I have a couple months before that happens is there anything I should do to the dirt/topsoil prior to seeding. It's all topsoil only right now as I had it all regraded because of poor drainage. I did have a simple soil test done. PH is 8.0, soil has lots of clay. It was low in Nitrogen and Phosporus but high in Potash. Can/should I apply some Milorganite that I have to help the soil prior to seeding? I was thinking of applying Milorganite in June to increase the Nitrogen in the topsoil. Is that dumb to do even though there's no grass? Just trying to improve the soil condition before seeding in August.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Milorganite for Soil Prior to Seeding?

Post by MorpheusPA » June 10th, 2022, 11:17 am

It's not dumb, in that it'll add some phosphorus, organic material, increase soil health, and generally improve the overall tilth of the soil. You can do it in June, July, and August at planting time if you want to.

It's not going to work miracles, but every little bit helps, yes? And the slow-tap nitrogen will still be around in September and October to feed the new grass.

drgolf
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

Re: Milorganite for Soil Prior to Seeding?

Post by drgolf » June 10th, 2022, 3:31 pm

Sounds good, thx!