New Seeding, Michigan Fall in Very DRY Soil?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
drgolf
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

New Seeding, Michigan Fall in Very DRY Soil?

Post by drgolf » August 24th, 2022, 11:53 am

I was planning to reseed my backyard this August. Thru a variety of circumstances this summer (father's passing) I got behind in prepping the soil in the backyard. We had topsoil brought in last November to level out areas that were puddling. So it's had no grass all year and with very little rain this summer here in southeast Michigan, the backyard is very dry. I've sprayed it with Roundup, spread Jonathan Green Mag-I-Cal twice this summer, threw some Milorganite on it, and put some Aerify Plus on it. Still, I cannot poke a screwdriver into the soil at all. I don't believe the soil will accept grass seed in it's current condition. I'm leaning on waiting till spring for seeding. I know it's not recommended for seeding but I did a large spot in the front yard this spring with good success. Any suggestions on what to do with the hard, dry soil now if I wait till spring to seed? I can water more but should I aerate and/or add peat moss or compost? Soil test earlier said pH was 8.0, it was low in nitrogen and phosphorus but high in Potash. Soil showed lots of clay they said. Thanks for the help.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: New Seeding, Michigan Fall in Very DRY Soil?

Post by DevilDawg81 » August 26th, 2022, 9:39 pm

I know you’ve already gotten a soil test. If you obtain one through Logan Labs and post it here, you’re going to get some great advice on soil management.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » August 27th, 2022, 10:34 am

Well, if you plan on properly watering the seedbed (initially three times a day for about 10 minutes each, my hunch is the seed will germinate and the lawn will eventually become established.

If you plan on throwing seed and relying on rainfall, that plan likely will fail.

So I guess it all depends on how you plan to irrigate.

drgolf
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

Post by drgolf » August 30th, 2022, 10:39 am

I plan on watering it 3 times per day after seeding just like I did in the area in the front yard that did great. But right now I can't even push a screwdriver into to the soil. Wish I could attach a photo but it's giving me an error.