Neighbors weed infestation

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Neighbors weed infestation

Post by Riverpilot » August 30th, 2022, 8:19 pm

Curious what everyone is doing with a neighbors lawn that is encroaching on your own lawn?

Back-story:
For the last 20+years I have always sprayed, spread, and pulled any weeds in the back and side neighbors yard that were within 5 feet of my own lawn.
3 years ago the back neighbor had a hysterical fit about me pulling a couple of weeds that were within 2 feet of my own lawn. Ranting and raving, stating he didn't need any help with his lawn, etc... As stated, up until this point there wasn't any problem, as well until this point they always used true-green or some other service to keep the weeds at semi-bay.

We may shake our heads at a service like this, but some people just don't want to spend the time dealing with their own lawn, and their lawn looked at least semi-respectable.
Flash forward to today... their lawn looks horrendous. All kinds of weeds, coarse fescue, etc... All that crap is now to the border line with my lawn, and I'm not sure how to battle it anymore.

If I go out and do anything with my lawn, he'll stand in his window watching the entire time. Try to spray, if I even get a little over-spray into their lawn, he'll be out ranting and raving. I do believe it's the beginning of dementia (I've witnessed first hand this horrible disease), and he hasn't done anything but rant.

The coarse fescue is the biggest problem. It's already trying to spread into my lawn.

Ideas, suggestions? I'm most likely needing to glypho part of my back lawn and start over, which I'll do next year, but I'm still going up against the infestation.

Thanks much

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Re: Neighbors weed infestation

Post by bpgreen » August 30th, 2022, 11:57 pm

I'm more of a beer drinker, but I think in circumstances such as these, scotch may be the answer.

Chris Jacobie
Grass Type: Fescue With Invading Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Chris Jacobie » August 31st, 2022, 8:43 am

bpgreen wrote:
August 30th, 2022, 11:57 pm
I'm more of a beer drinker, but I think in circumstances such as these, scotch may be the answer.
Hahahaha

I'll add the Robert Frost quote, "Good fences make good neighbors." Time to throw one up and maybe a row of rocks or edging underneath to keep anything with rhizomes from making its way over.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » August 31st, 2022, 3:52 pm

Being in a HOA, I cannot add a fence. I would love to, but...
The best I MIGHT be able to get away with is a 60' line of privacy hedges. Considering I have irrigation, that would mean moving that around, etc...

Chris Jacobie
Grass Type: Fescue With Invading Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Chris Jacobie » September 1st, 2022, 10:25 am

Bummer. Can you report his weeds to the HOA?

A privacy screen would be nice. Please don’t use Ligustrums or other invasives. They’re rampant in my neighborhood. I had to rip out about 20 at my old house that the previous owners had let the birds plant!

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » September 1st, 2022, 10:59 pm

Chris Jacobie wrote:
September 1st, 2022, 10:25 am
Bummer. Can you report his weeds to the HOA?

A privacy screen would be nice. Please don’t use Ligustrums or other invasives. They’re rampant in my neighborhood. I had to rip out about 20 at my old house that the previous owners had let the birds plant!
Wouldn't do any good. 3/4 of the lawns are weed infested. They have a lawn company mow every week, but charges extra for fertilizer, weed killer, etc.. hence, most of the homes/condos don't pay for the extra.

It's actually a real mess on how things are ran. I would never live in another HOA after this one.There may be some positives, but there are a LOT of negatives.

I would most likely go with some kind of boxwood, juniper or something like that.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » September 2nd, 2022, 8:16 am

Just keep a year-round pre-emergent-barrier.

The less interaction you have the better you’ll be.