Overseeding advice needed

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Seven333
Grass Type: Northern Mix slowly being consumed by Orfeo KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Overseeding advice needed

Post by Seven333 » August 23rd, 2010, 12:20 pm

I planned on overseeding this fall with some PRG in the back and TTTF/KBG in the front and sides. I was totally overrun with crabgrass in some area and sprayed about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, much of the crabgrass was pretty mature and only seems stunted. I don't think an overseed into the existing crabgrass will permit very good seed to soil contact. Should I wait until the crabgrass dies and do a dormant seeding or do you think a good scalping and raking would be ok? An RU renovation is not in the cards. Thanks!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Overseeding advice needed

Post by andy10917 » August 23rd, 2010, 12:33 pm

My experience with PR is that you may be able to sneak in a seeding as the crabgrass declines. I'd hit the crabgrass again (what are you using?). Be ready to seed should the opportunity avail itself.

On the dormant seeding issue, I never recommend doing dormant seeding when there is ANY chance that the seed could germinate. There will be plenty of time all winter to dormant seed - you don't want a late Fall warm spell to trigger germination. There is nothing to be gained in pushing the dates.

Only you can judge if the scalp-and-pray would work - we can't judge the amount of ground that it covers...

Seven333
Grass Type: Northern Mix slowly being consumed by Orfeo KBG

Post by Seven333 » August 23rd, 2010, 1:24 pm

Thanks andy. I used Spectracide weed stop with crabgrass control. Per the manufacturer, seeding should be 3 weeks after application so another treatment will be cutting it close. Do you think the 3rd week in September would be too late?

On the dormant seeding, I was thinking January/February timeframe so there shouldn't be a chance of premature germination, right?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » August 24th, 2010, 12:50 am

Seven333, since the CG is large and mature you'll need industrial strength now for a rapid kill. Use Round Up ASAP.

Ahhhh, but you don't want the big RU polka dots, huh?

Simple! Open a can of soup and have lunch. Then open the OTHER side of the can and wash your new toy out in the sink.
Take the tin can sleeve and place it over the center of a mature CG plant. Now spray RU inside the can - no RU over spray on the good grass!

Smaller CG plants? Use a tomato paste can then, LOL!

With Round Up, you can spray and seed all in the same day, no problems, no waiting.