Too late to amend tomatoes & peppers?

Bales9er
Grass Type: Lesco Double Eagle PR
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Too late to amend tomatoes & peppers?

Post by Bales9er » June 3rd, 2015, 5:52 pm

After reading through the instructions on here on how to plant tomatoes and peppers i realized i didnt do anything that i should have, just dug small holes in my raised bed, took them out of the planters and put them in the holes. That was 2 weeks ago and both the tomatoes and peppers are the same size as when i planted and are now yellowing. Is it too late to dig them up and add all the amendments/compost material to the holes then re-plant?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Too late to amend tomatoes & peppers?

Post by probasesteal » June 3rd, 2015, 7:42 pm

You should be fine to dig them up, increase the size of the hole, add compost, remove bottom leaves and replant.

I started with pure Clay that I could barely dig. At that time I dug a good sized hole and added compost. I rotate my crops every year but the soil is much better. My yields increase every year (my wife laughed at my lousy first year) so hopefully you will have the same luck. It does take time and i top dress with compost yearly. Add any leaves and clippings you or your neighbors have to the area.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App