Peppers-Peppers Darn The Peppers

texasweed

Peppers-Peppers Darn The Peppers

Post by texasweed » November 16th, 2011, 9:08 pm

OK just stripped all the peppers left on the plants. Have a Fall Bumper Crop of about 20 pounds of Jalapeno and around 15 pounds of New-Mex

I will be darned if I know what to do with them all. The dehydrator is crammed full, and I already have about 20 jars of canned green chili sauce put up.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Peppers-Peppers Darn The Peppers

Post by MorpheusPA » November 16th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Gifts? Maybe there's a...er, chili spicing contest somewhere that needs a lot of peppers?

Red-hued peppers can also make very attractive Christmas displays when wired into a circle like a pointsettia and placed on a green wreath. Plus few animals will eat it (birds, however, will).

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » November 17th, 2011, 1:28 am

I used to dry peppers with a needle ad thread. I'd just run the thread through the stems and leave room between the peppers, then hang them where they'd be exposed to air on all sides. It worked in Illinois where the humidity was a lot higher than it is out here. It works faster here.

haboustak
Grass Type: northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by haboustak » November 17th, 2011, 2:22 am

I hadn't thought about it in years until you mentioned it, but we did he same needle and thread thing to dry mushrooms for sauerkraut soup. The resulting mushrooms were way different... I need to try it with peppers.

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 17th, 2011, 1:43 pm

bpgreen wrote:I used to dry peppers with a needle ad thread. I'd just run the thread through the stems and leave room between the peppers, then hang them where they'd be exposed to air on all sides. It worked in Illinois where the humidity was a lot higher than it is out here. It works faster here.
Are you talking inside or outside? Nights here are quite chilly now and daytime temps only 60/70 now. In Prescott air is bone dry inside and out.

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 17th, 2011, 3:58 pm

OK Wife and I just processed about 50 or 60 of the Jalapeno's.

I cooked up about 2 pounds of Chorizo Sausage, drained the fat off, cooled, and mixed 2 pounds of fat-free cream cheese.

Split the peppers length wise in half along stem line with stem attached. Scooped out the seeds and veins with spoon to form a cavity. Filled each cavity with sausage/cheese mixture to act as glue and reassembled the two pepper halves.

Froze them on a cookie sheet. Then after freezing put them in freezer bags and back in deep freezer for long term storage.

Tonight will slightly thaw a few of them so outside of peppers are slightly damp, roll in seasoned flour, dip in egg/milk mixture, roll in Panko Bread Crumbs, and deep fry until golden brown.

Place on plate and smother them in Chile con Queso or Chile Verde Salsa

I will call them either:

Armadillo Eggs
Pepper Poppers
Chile Rellenos
Or
Burning Ring of Fire :amen:

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » November 17th, 2011, 4:55 pm

I always did that inside. Usually some place out of the way like a closet or pantry.