Tomatoes, Kale and Broccoli

jfd.lew
Grass Type: Betwitche/Midnight/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Tomatoes, Kale and Broccoli

Post by jfd.lew » March 21st, 2012, 7:41 pm

So I started maters, as well as my kale and broc a few weeks ago. I'm worried about the kale and broc due to the warm weather. I was hoping it would stay a little cooler a little longer! The kale seems to be getting a little leggy, I'm going to harden them off now and get them in the ground as well as the broccoli.

I've never grown either so this year is more of a tester, which is why I only did 2 plants of each for the garden and the rest on the deck with some sugar snap peas. The farmer has a fence along the north face of my yard, so next year I may just use that as my pea trellis :-)

Since I only have three raised beds, I only planted 4 tomatoes, 3 of which came up. I have two Brandywine and 1 SS100 Cherry.

Here's the (sad?) group. The maters popped up like gangbusters the past week. Going to start getting them outdoors to thicken them up a bit.

Here is my one remaining cherry. He's growing nice and straight.

This guy was being held up by the other two, so his stem is weaker. I'm not too worried about it. He's going to be going underground when I transplant them anyway. I need to get a small fan in my storage room to help keep these guys stems growing strong. Over the course of two nights he grew right up into the bulbs and thats why he has a bit of burn on the leaf.

Here is some of the kale. The stems have shot the crown a good few inches out of the ground so I'm going to deepen them when I get them in the beds.

After I get the kale and broccoli moved, I'm going to start my peppers and the rest of the veggies. Getting ansy!

Ohio2112
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Tomatoes, Kale and Broccoli

Post by Ohio2112 » April 25th, 2012, 6:10 am

Hey Jeff, how about an update?

You have a couple week jump on me. I started my tomatoes, broccoli & peppers in the basement on 3/18.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image