Cut Worms

Bavaria
Grass Type: K-31/ kbg
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Cut Worms

Post by Bavaria » June 15th, 2012, 6:54 pm

I've had more problems with cut worms this year, I've lost 5 seedling to them. I've used the wrap with paper method around the stem and no help. I've read about using cornmeal because they can't digest it. Any other ideas? I am trying the no till method for the first time. That could be part of the problem. They also ate some peppers growing from seed from last year that was in the soil.

xapabwa
Grass Type: back yard TTTF; front yard Zoysia

Re: Cut Worms

Post by xapabwa » June 17th, 2012, 1:40 pm

toilet paper or paper towel rolls work pretty well. Cut one and put part of it in the soil around the seedling and leave an inch or so above the ground. They work really well unles you're going to get heavy rains - they tend to fall apart when they get too saturated.

Bavaria
Grass Type: K-31/ kbg

Re: Cut Worms

Post by Bavaria » June 17th, 2012, 6:22 pm

I was surprised to see that I did have the stem wrapped with a little thinner than the roll that you speak of. It was still around what's left of the stump. Almost like a super worm climbed up and ate it. I'll try your suggestion. Although once the plant get big they can't chew through the thicker stem. I still have a few young ones left. Thanks.