Cherry Laurel growth

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
oclor
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Cherry Laurel growth

Post by oclor » September 6th, 2017, 3:18 pm

We had these Cherry Laurels planted about 6-7 months ago. Most have grown beautifully but some look like they have not grown at all. This is concerning since the purpose is privacy and they don’t seem to be headed in the right direction. Any tips? Thanks

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Cherry Laurel growth

Post by TimmyG » September 27th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Transplant shock can be unpredictable. It can take up to two or three years for some shrubs/trees to get over transplant shock. I had a B&B ginkgo grow negligibly for three years even though it always looked very healthy, then it exploded in growth the fourth year.

From what I can tell in your pictures, your cherry laurels all look healthy. The variable growth could be due to transplant shock, or it could be due to varying soil conditions. If growth appears random along the hedge, then assume the former and hope that the runts take off next year. If the the stunted growth appears position dependent along the hedge, as it does in your September 3rd photo, then maybe the soil conditions aren't consistent along the hedge.

My suggestion is to be content that they're all healthy and be patient. Each laurel will probably come into its own in due time. If you do have reason to suspect the soil quality around the slower growers and are determined to do something about it, you could always root prune and them come back a few months later and amend the soil outside the root pruning circle. Of course, you'll want to research what the optimal soil conditions are for cherry laurels.