Evergreen Transplant

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
krusej23
Grass Type: Rye, fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Evergreen Transplant

Post by krusej23 » August 25th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Hi, I'm looking to move an evergreen that our neighbors planted on our property before we owned it. Now we want to build a shed in that area and we need to move or cut down the tree to build the shed far enough from the property line. I would obviously like to move it to another spot in our lawn instead of cutting it down since it's a good tree and because of the whole neighbor thing. I have looked up online how big of a root ball I'm supposed to dig up to move it but I'm getting a little confused. Most of the sites say evergreen root balls depend on the branch spread. Does that mean the distance from the trunk to the furthest out branch? Or does that mean the diameter of the tree? I was hoping to have a tree company come in and move it but nobody does that around here apparently after calling 3 companies. I'm hoping to get this moved this weekend if I can get the "branch spread" thing figured out. Then I can get someone in to pour the concrete and I can start building the shed. Thanks for any information on this.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Evergreen Transplant

Post by TimmyG » August 25th, 2017, 11:04 pm

See tables here and here.

krusej23

Post by krusej23 » August 28th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Looks like I will be cutting it down since no landscaping company wants to help move it and I'm guessing it will be way too heavy for me to move myself.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » October 2nd, 2017, 11:42 am

How big is the tree? if its around 8' or less your rootball is about 30" wide and 24" deep. Anything above that height you really get into a sizable tree. Unless you get someone in there with a spade digger you're in for a tough go.

krusej23

Post by krusej23 » October 2nd, 2017, 12:18 pm

We have decided to keep it there until it becomes a real problem with branches growing into the shed.

krusej23

Post by krusej23 » March 31st, 2018, 8:56 pm

This is what we ended up doing. I kept the tree and just trimmed it up on the side that the shed is on.

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » April 1st, 2018, 6:43 pm

Looks good. You'll have no problem with that. Pines tend to lose their lower branches naturally as they age, although less so when they're out in the open like that. Just limb up the offending branches as the tree gets bigger.

If you had said it was a pine in the first place, I probably would have suggested starting anew. Pines grow like weeds.

krusej23

Post by krusej23 » April 1st, 2018, 7:17 pm

TimmyG wrote:
April 1st, 2018, 6:43 pm
Looks good. You'll have no problem with that. Pines tend to lose their lower branches naturally as they age, although less so when they're out in the open like that. Just limb up the offending branches as the tree gets bigger.

If you had said it was a pine in the first place, I probably would have suggested starting anew. Pines grow like weeds.
If I took a closer picture, would you be able to tell me what it is?

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » April 1st, 2018, 10:42 pm

Nope. As much as I am a tree fanatic, I've never taken a liking to pines. What you have looks just like our native white pines as far as I'm concerned. I've cut down countless.

Identifying exactly what species of pine you have will require recognizing the subtle details. Read up on how to ID pines, and you may be able to do it yourself.