Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Eastern Red Cedar vs White Cedar

Post by bolson32 » November 23rd, 2021, 3:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I have 60ft swath that I'm going to plant a couple of rows of trees on each side of some chain-link fence next spring and I'm trying to decide on some cultivars for this area. It's near a house and a drain field, but I don't think cedars/spruce/pine bother that much In fact I've removed 10 mature red pine from near or on top of the drain field so far lol.

I don't love the look of skinny arborvitaes, and most of the rest of the few hundred feet of privacy/windbreak I've planted has been a mixture of White Spruce, Black Hills Spruce, White Pines, Norway Pines and Hybrid Poplars. So I want something that looks more tree-like than a green column. I'm thinking of planting a row of Norway Spruce on the outside of the fence and then perhaps either red or white cedar on the inside. Does the Red end up a little more tree-like? Or does a standard white cedar end up looking tree-like as well? Could I go wrong with either?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Eastern Red Cedar vs White Cedar

Post by turf_toes » November 23rd, 2021, 3:59 pm

Frankly, I wouldn’t plant a cedar close to a house or a fence.

Biggest mistake most people make is planting trees that eventually outgrow the available space.

bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Re: Eastern Red Cedar vs White Cedar

Post by bolson32 » November 23rd, 2021, 8:00 pm

By "near" I mean the closest one would be 60-70ft from the house. A mature red cedar is 8-20ft in width. That's probably touching the fence(chain-link, I don't care, in fact welcome that) and at least 50ft from the house. I think they'd be fine.