Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
lew
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

dogwood doomed?

Post by lew » June 11th, 2023, 12:27 pm

Hello,
I've been browsing the forum for a couple of years and though not a show piece my lawn looks better than it ever has. Thank you.

Anyhow, I have a Kousa dogwood that sustained some serious snow damage and am wondering if it's salvageable or if I should focus my efforts elsewhere. The trunk split into multiple pieces, with only a couple of sections remaining intact. If you look closely you can see a couple of deck screws protruding, that was from my repairs ~10yrs ago when I knew even less, but the tree seemed to be thriving till this latest damage. There are a couple of root suckers appearing and the remaining section seems to be ok for now. I'm assuming it's an advanced technique and not sure if it would even be possible on a dogwood, but my internet searching makes me wonder if an inarch graft would be worth trying come next spring if it's still standing.

Thanks,
Lew

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: dogwood doomed?

Post by turf_toes » June 11th, 2023, 2:25 pm

I’d suggest having a good tree surgeon come take a look. Most won’t charge you to come out to take a look and tell you if it can be saved.

This isn’t something that you can legitimately diagnose just from pictures posted on the Internet.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 11th, 2023, 3:19 pm

Agreed. That having been said, ten year old dogwoods aren't generally expensive trees, worth sinking a lot of money into, or difficult to replace in MA. I'd be inclined to cut away the damage, see if it recovers, and if it doesn't, replace it.

Mine didn't; it got anthracnose. I put a Jane magnolia in its place, which is immune to the disease.

lew
Grass Type: Northern mix

Post by lew » June 11th, 2023, 5:10 pm

Thanks. I'll wait and see how it seems to do and decide come fall or spring.