Pecans, Pecans OMG the Pecans

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
texasweed

Pecans, Pecans OMG the Pecans

Post by texasweed » November 13th, 2009, 9:08 pm

I have about 10 pecan trees around the home 40 on the fence line. Last few years it was so hot and dry they hardly produced anything, not enough to make it worth the effort to pick up. We got enough to make a few pies for the holidays, but it took a lot of hunting.

Well this year we have received 86 inches of rain so far (normal is 41), coupled with the cooler summer OMG the pecans. One of my neighbors is a pecan farmer and he came over with his tractor rig and shook one tree. Out of that one tree we had over 200 pounds. Did not even bother shaking the other 9 trees, got no lace to put all the nuts, so to pay Jack I let him shake two and keep the nuts.

I must not be alone. I took them to the Coop to be cracked, and they told me to get in line and wait two-weeks to pick them up the Tuesday before T-Day. Just in the nick of time. Seems there is a bumper crop this year. Sure cannot tell it from the prices I seen at Sam's and Walmart. They are getting $3.89 lb for shelled pecans. Farmers around here are going to haqve a good year for a change. I sure did with Sod, Soy, and Peanuts.

Oh well off to haul some cattle to trade for a few hogs and stock up the freezer. Yum!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Pecans, Pecans OMG the Pecans

Post by andy10917 » November 13th, 2009, 10:17 pm

I'll trade you for a ton of acorns - Acorn Pie is not a big seller on Thanksgiving. Enjoy the Pecan Pie knowing that we're all envious.

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by GaryCinChicago » November 13th, 2009, 10:27 pm

texasweed wrote:Sure cannot tell it from the prices I seen at Sam's and Walmart. They are getting $3.89 lb for shelled pecans. Farmers around here are going to haqve a good year for a change.
Hi ya T-Dub.

Ole' city boy over here just aint never been to a co-op or have any understanding of how they work for the country folk.

Does the co-op buy the pecans from you "wholesale" and then sell "retail" to the general public?
Who actually 'owns' a co-op?

clay&crabgrass
Grass Type: none

Post by clay&crabgrass » November 13th, 2009, 11:21 pm

ok, years ago(back in the 80's), I had a house with a sharred driveway and a turn around area to get into the garage. previous owner had pea sized river gravel on this area and it was looking kind of crappy. I got the bright idea to mulch it and found a guy who would dump a truck load of pecan shells back there for almost nothing. I raked the shells out and it looked pretty good. next morning I get my coffee and wandered out on the back porch and there's, what, maybe a thousand squirrels? it was like I stumbled into some kind of nut orgy. finally settled down after a week or so. beware of cheap solutions.
(I have a recipe for a pecan, chocolate pie, laced with praline liquor--1000 cal. a bite? gooey, crunchy, chocolatey, hint of booze, waaah! thing of rare beauty.)

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 14th, 2009, 10:24 am

GaryCinChicago wrote: Does the co-op buy the pecans from you "wholesale" and then sell "retail" to the general public?
Yes farmer coops buy most all ag products from farmers and then resale them to whoever needs them like a cereal or large baking company. But in my case I just had my pecans cracked for a fee of $0.15/lb
GaryCinChicago wrote:Who actually 'owns' a co-op?
In general we farmers do, although each coop usually has one large percentage owner, farmers own a smaller share. Depends on which Coop you are talking about.Basically a Coop is the farmers marketing agent and supplier. Some even do financing for farmer crops rather than using a bank. We can buy everything from seed, grains, animal feed, fuel, fertilizer, you name it, whatever might be used on or around a farm. Heck mine even sells clothes like Carhart and Dickeys brand stuff. The Coop I belong too has a mil and makes animal feed and sells/distributes to other coops and retail outlets like grocery stores. So basically if not for Coops you would starve to death. :D

Hope that helps.

FWIW the public can go to a Coop and buy anything they sell, happens everyday. It is a great place to buy your organic lawn care products like Soy Bean Meal or CGM. You would just pay a higher price then a member and pay sales tax. Still cheaper than retail outlet like TSC.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » November 14th, 2009, 10:31 am

Hey, TW:

Now that the growing season is over, could you update the story of the young men that worked their butts off with the farming experiment with how the end-of-season crops came out, and their final reactions to it all? I think a lot of us were intrigued by that story...

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 14th, 2009, 10:37 am

andy10917 wrote:Hey, TW:

Now that the growing season is over, could you update the story of the young men that worked their butts off with the farming experiment
OK, working on it. Not quite over yet, PUMPKINS.

rcnaylor
Grass Type: KBG, TTF

Post by rcnaylor » November 14th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Glad to hear of your good pecan crop T-W. I have to tell you while I LOVE pecans... I envy that rain down state Texas got more!

Up here we still are in that dry spell. The raingauge at the Natl Weather service here got a lot of rain in August, but no one else did.

With yard watering I will have some pecans. Enough for us. My trees are very young. About 7-8 years old. So they aren't really producing like mature trees. But, I get plenty from three trees. One of these days they're gonna be mature and... its gonna rain. ;)

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 14th, 2009, 7:27 pm

RC, it may hurt now, but keep those young trees trimmed. It will pay huge dividends a couple years down the road. Keep the middle of the canopy open, and the trees balanced.

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » November 14th, 2009, 8:33 pm

texasweed wrote:
Hope that helps.
Sure does - thanks!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » November 16th, 2009, 12:26 am

andy10917 wrote:Now that the growing season is over,...
Our temps are finally consistently down into the 70s during the day and 60s at night, but the AC is still running day and night. I saw some tree leaves turning yellow tonight and some dry leaves on the ground, so I guess the growing season is slowing down here, too. This is not abnormally late for San Antonio to have warm temps. At the same time it is normal to have a really cold front (into the low 30s with 30 mph winds) come through the week of Thanksgiving. That one usually knocks the leaves off the trees all at one time. We're getting a front in tonight that will drop the temps into the low 70s and 50s at night, so not much to that.

It's interesting how much difference there is across the country. If you go another 350 miles south of us, it rarely gets into the 60s.

texasweed

Post by texasweed » November 16th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:It's interesting how much difference there is across the country. If you go another 350 miles south of us, it rarely gets into the 60s.
I think you meant Texas right? TX is a country inside a country. The Panhandle region has already had snow flurries, while Brownsville/Harlingen area is still very warm and producing crops year round.

rcnaylor
Grass Type: KBG, TTF

Post by rcnaylor » November 22nd, 2009, 9:48 am

Amen.

We were in charge of a church citrus sale one year. The first week or so of December the truck from the Valley with the citrus showed up to unload. Not too surprisingly we were in the middle of a snow storm.

The truck driver of the eighteen wheeler was wide eyed. He looked to be thirty something, was from the Valley, and had never seen snow before.

When he left we did some serious praying for that guy and every one else on the road with an eighteen wheeler driven by a guy that had never seen snow before. :shock: