Trees budding already

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
freyja5
Grass Type: Rye/Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Trees budding already

Post by freyja5 » January 31st, 2010, 4:21 pm

We have had the warmest January on record here in the Vancouver area (it's a balmy 50F today; not the greatest for the Winter Olympics in 2 weeks), and my weeping cherry and hornbeam trees are already starting to bud.

If we end up getting a cold snap (although it's very unlikely to go below freezing at this point), what kind of damage would be done to the trees? Anything I can do for them, if it does get colder later on?

I'm kind of hoping that spring is here, so I can bust out the SBM for my lawn (: but I'll try to be patient if it gets cold again.

Thanks!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Trees budding already

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » January 31st, 2010, 8:07 pm

We've had the coldest winter in decades and the one tree I use as my 'harbinger of spring' is blooming. This is the earliest I can remember by a couple weeks.

Every tree is different. The answer is, 'it depends.' It depends on what kind of tree, how well established the roots are, how long at critical low temps, how much moisture in the soil, and possibly on the biological health of the tree and soil.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » January 31st, 2010, 11:31 pm

This Winter has been unusual in ways here in New York. Few extremes (no sub-zero, no significant warm periods), but longer-than-normal periods of below-normal temperatures. I'd hazard a guess that precipitation is below normal. Winds have been steadier and above-normal. Absolutely NO signs of Spring.

freyja5
Grass Type: Rye/Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by freyja5 » February 1st, 2010, 12:30 am

Thanks, David. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope we stay with the warm temps. The hornbeam struggled last year, so I was very excited to see buds all over it the other day. If the 50F temps continue, I think I'm going to put out my first grain fertilizer (corn meal, since I haven't picked up my SBM yet) and see what happens.

Andy, hope you guys get some spring soon! Our winter last year was one of the worst in terms of volumes of snow; this year, we had snow for about 1 day (maybe an inch or two) before it turned to rain.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » February 1st, 2010, 1:06 am

Pretty much the same here. The last 3 days have been frigid and finally took down the lawn, but before that the weather was average to a touch warm. Since Groundhog's Day marks the change to Really Extremely Early Spring Not That You'd Notice (But At Least It Isn't Quite So Cold), we'll see what the next few weeks bring.

My crocus and some of the extremely early jonquil and tulips have sent early leaves. No big deal there, they'll wait just fine.

Most tree buds CAN be killed by a severe cold snap, but often they seem to do just fine (at least on mature, healthy trees). The tree can produce some anti-freeze to protect them. An extended cold period will get them and usually reduces blooming, but I've never seen it go to zero.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » February 2nd, 2010, 5:40 pm

If it makes any difference to y'all, this is an El Nino year by the definition that it was a rainy winter in Mexico. For us it means our multi year drought is broken. We got half a year's worth of rain in January. That is slightly above normal for us. We don't get rain all year long so getting it a few buckets at a time is normal.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » February 2nd, 2010, 9:57 pm

And although we were normal on precipitation during December, we didn't made it in January and February looks like a bust. Thanks for stealing the East Coast's rain there, David. :-)