Water your trees, North Texas

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Water your trees, North Texas

Post by dfw_pilot » June 8th, 2015, 11:20 pm

If you live in North Texas and have young trees, now is the time to make sure and spend some time watering your trees. With the record-setting wet spring, it might be easy to forget that your trees now need water and I don't want anyone to lose their trees.

Generally, when it's 95°F+ you want to use the watering method below at least twice a week, in between your irrigation days.
  • + Use the largest diameter hose you have and turn the water on full.
    + Drop the end of the hose at the base of the tree and let the water run for three to four minutes.
    + If you have more trees, go to the next tree and let the water run for three to four minutes. Then, go back to the first tree and do it again.
    + Let each tree get three to four minutes of water at least twice, with a few minutes break in between to allow the water to soak in and not run off.
The old salt at the nursery that sold me our trees told me about this method. He even waters his three foot diameter trees with a hose for a while when it's 100°F outside. I've seen lots of different methods used, like pvc pipe into the ground (a great way to drown your tree), or watering bags that are left on for weeks (they should never stay on for more than a few days). Remember too, that under water restrictions, most don't apply to new trees or hand watering. [Don't] stay thirsty, my friends,

dfw

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Re: Water your trees, North Texas

Post by HanLawn » June 9th, 2015, 2:48 pm

HMMMM, I always watered recently planted trees differently,put the hose end near the trunk but only opened bib enough to allow a slow trickle of water to exit hose,and let it run an hour or so- this allowed the water to soak deep into the soil without runoff?

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » June 9th, 2015, 3:46 pm

yeah I have always done that method as well - setting a timer on microwave. Don't know how many times I have forgotten about it for hours... oops :) lol

dfw_pilot

Soils

Post by dfw_pilot » June 9th, 2015, 4:17 pm

HanLawn wrote:HMMMM, I always watered recently planted trees differently...
I am definitely no expert on soil differences between Maryland and Texas, and I'm sure there are variances even within Texas. With 12 young trees, I'm not going to spend 12 hours watering because I'll make the BoatDrink mistake, for sure.

Slow drip and soaker hoses are great for established trees, and need to be placed farther from the trunk. The roots of mature trees are much more spread out, verses the "bucketed" roots of newly planted young trees. Either way, any water is good in this heat (98°F as I type this) and I've had great luck with the method described, without any runoff, and not needing to spend hours doing so. Now, a drip-line on an irrigation zone would be really nice!

OldGlory
Grass Type: Carl Spackler Hybred: KBG; Featherbed Bent; Northern California Sensemilia

Post by OldGlory » June 10th, 2015, 9:11 am

I planted a bunch of new trees. One method I have used it to drill several small holes on the lowest point on the side of a 5 gallon bucket put it next to the trunk and fill it with water. It slowly soaks the tree. It is great for areas where the hose won't reach and you don't have to worry about shutting off the hose.

dfw_pilot

Buckets

Post by dfw_pilot » June 10th, 2015, 9:20 am

We did the bucket method when we planted several Cleveland Pears in Ohio and it worked really well!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

beedix
Grass Type: Front - Bermuda, Back - Palisades Zoysia

Post by beedix » July 5th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Good advice. I've been running the tree bubbler for 9 minutes (how long it takes to fill the bowl) 3 rounds with breaks in-between. Do it 3 times a week and seems to not dry much with a decent mulched ring.

laadams85
Grass Type: TF, KBG, Rye grass

Post by laadams85 » July 6th, 2015, 9:36 am

I will usually take some time with the pistol nozzle set to shower. Apply until you get run off then move to the next tree. Rinse and repeat.

dfw_pilot

Gettin' hot!

Post by dfw_pilot » July 2nd, 2016, 2:34 pm

Bump.

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » July 2nd, 2016, 7:46 pm

dfw_pilot wrote:Bump.
Thanks for the reminder, dfw_pilot. Without even thinking about it, the trees will steal most of the watering you give your grass. It is, after all; a different plant with different needs, and should not be ignored on the lawn. Separate watering for the trees, and separate watering for grass keeps both plants healthy.