Carpinus - some branches flower but no leaves

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
freyja5
Grass Type: Rye/Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Carpinus - some branches flower but no leaves

Post by freyja5 » April 13th, 2010, 10:00 pm

I have a carpinus (possibly betulus) that was damaged last summer; I believe it was from when a lawn company over-sprayed for lawn weeds on a really hot day -- the leaves shriveled and fell off on many branches. Through the rest of the year, it struggled, and I've had to cut off some completely dead branches.

I noticed in the fall, however, that some of the "dead" branches still bore fruit (it was a weird look; no leaves, but the little fruits hanging from the branches). This spring, again, there are the flowers/catkins on some of the "dead" branches, but no leaf buds.

Any idea what I can do to help it along? If a branch produces flowers and fruit, is it possible that it will bud leaves again at some point? I'm going to feed heavily this year (monthly) with organics in an attempt to improve my lower soil, which is rock hard and also a cause for concern for this tree.

Thanks.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Carpinus - some branches flower but no leaves

Post by MorpheusPA » April 13th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Ugh, can I completely not discuss spraying? The Township sprayed their trees for bugs and invaded my property and sprayed my dogwood. Dogwoods do not like being sprayed with anything, they're extremely sensitive and artistic individuals. They do best when left alone to contemplate poetry.

Immediate leaf loss. I had feared I lost the tree, but it's coming back this spring. Sort of. So I'm in exactly the same boat--some branches produced seed, others didn't, and sometimes the leafless branches still produced seed.

If a branch produces anything post-shock, it isn't dead and there's hope! Keep an eye on it, it may bud late, and may just be waiting to reduce the chances of losing leaves. If it fails this year, test the wood. If dead, remove the branch--it's just dead weight and waiting to cause problems as insects and disease start decaying it. If too many die...you may want or need to replace the tree. It'll look rangy.

Organic feeding is good, but try to avoid getting it anywhere near the trunk of the tree. That's also asking for disease problems. Besides, there aren't many feeder roots in that close, most cluster from about 1/4 of the way out to the edge of the canopy to 1 1/2 the distance of the canopy. Feed that region heavily.

freyja5
Grass Type: Rye/Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Carpinus - some branches flower but no leaves

Post by freyja5 » April 13th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Thanks, Morpheus. I'd be so ticked if the city did that to one of my trees!! Especially a dogwood -- love them! It's our provincial tree here, and against the law to cut them down. I wish I had a spot to plant one.

I'll hang in there and hope for the best, along with giving extra heavy feedings in the area you described.