New American Elm

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
snachs
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New American Elm

Post by snachs » April 14th, 2010, 6:20 am

I struck a deal with my neighbors.... I had a large crab apple along my fence that provided some privacy between our decks but also gave us apples galore every year. My neighbors approached me and made a deal that if I cut it down they would purchase two replacements and plant one on my property. I left the decision up to them and yesterday at 12 ft American Elm (disease resistant) was planted. 12ft isn't bad but I want to get this thing to grow aggressively so we have some privacy next year.

I read freyja5's thread about her damaged tree and Morphs post

"Organic feeding is good, but try to avoid getting it anywhere near the trunk of the tree. That's also asking for disease problems. Besides, there aren't many feeder roots in that close, most cluster from about 1/4 of the way out to the edge of the canopy to 1 1/2 the distance of the canopy. Feed that region heavily."

I want to make sure my plan is solid... The tree is planted near where the removed tree was...there is nothing growing in that area. The nursery did the planting and left the mounded dirt (not at the trunk) surrounding the tree.

My idea was to treat a 25-40 sqft area around the tree to start preparing the soil the tree will eventually grow into. I want to mulch that area well but figured I'd drop a whole ton of organics under that mulch. If I stay outside of the ring they created, is there any issues with putting a whole bag of milorganite or corn or alfalfa or all under the mulch? Nothing else is growing in that area for me to smoother. I would then just follow watering practices and use AP occasionally. In the fall, I'd pull the mulch aside and reapply heavy organics.

Is this ok? A good idea? Any recommendations? I do not know the soil condition in this area as I've only tested the front yard. I will probably send some to UMASS to get details. I also do not know what amendments the nursery placed in the planting whole since I wasn't involved beyond permission to plant on my property.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: New American Elm

Post by MorpheusPA » April 14th, 2010, 11:40 am

If the nursery was normal, they added nothing to the hole--that's a good thing--except perhaps a phosphorus source, light. For the most part, you don't want to amend soils that trees and shrubs are growing in because the roots are hesitant to go past the amended area. It's like building your own pot.

So generally, no amendments are necessary or desired. Warranted, I usually toss a small handful of alfalfa in a planting hole, but that's not significant in terms of changing the soil. It just provides a weak, slow, and small feed to the new plant to encourage root growth.

As far as organics at the surface (under the mulch), drop away. Those aren't being dug in. Keep in mind that the tree's roots right now are in its cut ball, which is extremely small and very close to the tree--Frejya's was established, as is mine, so the roots have gone wide. Your feeding can go as close as 4" to the tree's trunk, the same distance as the mulch can go (keep anything closer open to keep moisture off of the trunk as much as possible).

rcnaylor
Grass Type: KBG, TTF

Post by rcnaylor » April 24th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Hate to be a party pooper, but, good trees and "privacy next year" are kind of mutually exclusive terms.

In the kindest way possible, I would suggest you revise your expectations. I planted a disease resistant elm and it is doing fine. Six years later it is 25 feet tall maybe (good in my treeless plain neck of the woods). The old saying, the first year they sit, next year they creep and third year they leap probably applies.

Mine was just a 5 foot whip when I planted it. I kept the grass well away from the trunk, kept it mulched, watered it appropriately and fed it organic fertilizer. Went really well. Some say smaller trees actually outperform larger ones (comparing transplanting sizes), but, unless you plant a tree large enough at planting to provide privacy, I don't think you'll get it from anything but a fast growing weed tree in the second year. Not elms for sure.

snachs
Grass Type: KBG

Post by snachs » April 24th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Not at all a party pooper...I appreciate a reality check. In this case, I know not to expect any growth this season. The area it was planted in was rock hard with nothing growing for years so my goal is to amend the soil so when it does begin to grow next year, it has good conditions. Since there was nothing to smoother, I amended a 100sqft area around the tree (leaving a 6-8 inches diameter clear from the trunk) with 16lbs Milorganite, 15 lbs corn, 1/4 inch of compost, and then 2-3 inches of mulch. I fenced off the area to keep my dogs out and plan to not think about it except for watering requirements. Maybe I'll add some more stuff in the fall.

They bought it at 12 ft and the tops of the branches will provide a little privacy already (buds are opening now) I'm actually more concerned that it will quickly (4-7 years scope) become too tall and only the truck will be between our eye line.

The neighbors also had an evergreen planted on their side and the nurseury hit rocks and literally just plopped the root ball a few inches in and mounded soild around it. Neighbors are furious! Mine was a bit above grade but that is a low area for my yard and my ammendments already sorta leveled things out. They complained and the nursery is coming to replant this week. Not sure if they will redo mine so I might have to start over again.

Do you have a pic of yours? I've seen plenty online but am trying to envision how the canopy will end up.