Identify and help me figure out what is wrong with my tree.

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
MustangEater82
Grass Type: Not sure
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Identify and help me figure out what is wrong with my tree.

Post by MustangEater82 » July 25th, 2015, 7:02 am

So I noticed one of my favorite trees in my yard is not looking so great. It's is kind of turning yellow, and I have some pics of the leaves. I have recently put some "spike" fertilizer for trees around it. It gets plenty of water. I have always had a few lighter spots of grass near it.

Is it a disease? Bugs?

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s53 ... x0vrwa.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s53 ... mpnujs.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s53 ... drmens.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s53 ... yob9nv.jpg

[ Post made via Android ] Image

virginiagal

Re: Identify and help me figure out what is wrong with my tr

Post by virginiagal » July 25th, 2015, 7:22 am

You should find a certified arborist and get some professional advice.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » July 25th, 2015, 12:02 pm

It could be chlorosis. That's usually caused by a lack of iron. Your soil may have plenty of iron, but if the pH is too high or too low, the iron may not be available.

You also mentioned that it gets plenty of water. How often do you water and how much do you water? Too much water can cause chlorosis.
Last edited by bpgreen on July 27th, 2015, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MustangEater82

Post by MustangEater82 » July 27th, 2015, 6:54 am

I water every other day, and we get a faire amount of showers. The ground does not seem overly watered. I have been recovering my grass from the scott's weed/feed issue. Grass seems to be loving it.

Is there a diy with local stuff so I can sample check soil for pH and other important ingredients?

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » July 27th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Mustangeater82, do you know what species of tree you have? What size caliper is the tree and how old is it? To my eye, it seems like a lot of foliage for a small caliper tree. Sometimes it's helpful to provide your trees with extra fertilization, and sometimes not so good. I think the idea behind tree fertilization is to have the tree reach for its nutrients deep in the soil, rather than near the surface.
Is that how the fertilization spikes work? From what I've read most trees get supplemental ferts from deeper in the soil than the spikes can provide, usually by the process called "deep root feeding". How long have you been using the spikes and what has the tree's growth patterns been before and after using them?

Blackdirt Cowboy
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Blackdirt Cowboy » July 30th, 2015, 10:30 pm

It's not iron deficiency. If that was the cause the veins in the leaves would be deep green with the remainder of the leaves being yellow. It looks like stress from having wet feet to me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

MustangEater82

Post by MustangEater82 » July 31st, 2015, 8:35 am

I dont know the species.... ill take any help in trying to identify. As for age, no clue my house was built in 2006 and backs up to the woods. I think its an original from the woods that was left. The tree appears tto have been graded around. It has like a 10 in diameter trunk and might be 30-40 ft. Tall.

As for over watering going to cut back today, but i doubt its the issue, the ground does not feel overly saturated... i have always hadd issues around the tree with the grass not growing, i figure a battle for nutrients/water. I used the bad scotts weed/feed in the grass. I have some concerns about chemical effects in the grass.

For the foliage around it... i planted one gardinia my wife got, its ground a bit bigger but not massive the rest are kind of "weeds" that dont look like weeds they might even be of the same species as the tree, and some vines from the swing that kind of migrated and grew up. Suggest ripping it all our?

As for the spikes... they were a standard Lowes annual tree spike, about 8 in long, you hammer it around the tree below ground level. They have been in a week or so. They apparently help with diseases, nuturients and some bugs.

More pics.... it is the tree on the left.

Last edited by MustangEater82 on July 31st, 2015, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MustangEater82

Post by MustangEater82 » July 31st, 2015, 8:36 am

A pic of a healthier leaf to help figure the species out

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » July 31st, 2015, 10:29 am

I thought I saw some green veins in the first set of pictures, but I don't really see that.

It could be too much water. You're watering every other day and also get a fair amount of rain. I live in the desert and get almost no rain in the summer and I don't water that often. I'd cut back to once a week (twice a week at most) and water deeply when you do water.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » March 2nd, 2016, 10:34 am

Old thread, but watering way too much and probably shallow, for a mature tree.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » March 2nd, 2016, 2:28 pm

Doesn't look like anyone identified the tree. It's clearly a type of oak. Ironically (with all the accusations of overwatering), I'd guess that this is a water oak (Quercus nigra) based on the leaf shape, bark, and location.

http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/quni.html
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60882/#b