Trees for new construction...

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Trees for new construction...

Post by LoneRanger » March 8th, 2016, 4:37 pm

I plan to put a few tress in around April/May. Lot is about 2/5 acre. Frontage is 90' with 10' deep blvd. I would like a couple in the blvd. Front yard is ~50 to house. I want a tall tree(50'>), when it's fully mature. I also would like an outside and inside corner tree at the house. Recommendations would be aprreciated. I'm zone 6a in east Michigan(Anchor Bay). I have some ideas.

Magnolias 'Jurmag1' or maples 'Paper Bark' at the blvd.

Magnolia 'Galaxy' or maple 'Autumn Blaze' in the front yard.

Japanese maple 'Coral Bark' and/or Hydrangea 'PeeGee' at inside/outside corners.

Also, does anyone know if 'Galaxy' is even avaialble this year? The few nurseries I've called in my area have no inventory or plans for them.

Here is a shot of the lot.

SACole
Grass Type: Bermuda and Empire Zoysia

Re: Trees for new construction...

Post by SACole » March 11th, 2016, 8:34 pm

I just purchased an autumn blaze maple. I couldn't decide between that and the and October glory maple. Both hybrids.

I was drawn to those because of the quick growth and my wife loves fall colors. I have 3 magnolias and all mine are slow growers. Eventually they will be used as some privacy type trees.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » March 12th, 2016, 1:09 am

What hybrids of magnolia are you growing?

ndlutz
Grass Type: Midnight/Bewitched/Prosperity KBG Front, Northern Mix Back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ndlutz » March 19th, 2016, 9:30 pm

I just recently put in three October Glory Red Maples. I was planting them for shade because the west side of my house gets beat by the afternoon sun.

What I learned was that the most important shade tree should be planted off of the southwest corner of the house, about 20' from the house. I started there and then basically planted in a row spacing the trees 30' apart. The color on the October Glory trees is stunning. I'm excited for fall (and a lawn reno!).

This site has a pretty neat PDF: http://forestry.usu.edu/htm/city-and-to ... ight-place

I'm envious that you've got a blank slate. The previous owners of my house jammed stuff all over the place and three years later I'm still cutting things down, transplanting, etc. It's a lot of work just to clean up after them.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » March 19th, 2016, 11:25 pm

Thanx for the input ndlutz. I'm looking at OG red maples as well.
Last edited by LoneRanger on March 21st, 2016, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SACole
Grass Type: Bermuda and Empire Zoysia

Post by SACole » March 20th, 2016, 1:23 am

LoneRanger wrote:What hybrids of magnolia are you growing?
forgot that I didn't respond. I'm actually growing 3 little gem magnolias. They are much like a traditional magnolia just dwarf. I do live in the Magnolia State after all.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by rtomek » April 5th, 2016, 5:35 pm

There's only a few Magnolias that will actually survive this far North. I didn't look up what SACole has but I wouldn't expect a randomly selected magnolia to survive, and whatever magnolias the local nurseries carry are probably the only ones that will actually survive in your area, so don't get too picky. I also wouldn't recommend a magnolia as a parkway tree because they typically have a lot of low, far-reaching branches.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » April 5th, 2016, 9:41 pm

I hear ya. Galaxy used to be available here for many years, but now I can't find any. The Jurmag1 is available here and the canopy can be trimmed up. It's a more prostrate tree with a narrow canopy and I have a 10' blvd, so I think I'll be ok. Only time will tell though. The Jurmag1 won't be in nurseries until the end of April/May. I'm still looking though. I really want a Galaxy for the front yard. It's my first choice. The Galaxy grows quite large.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by rtomek » April 11th, 2016, 2:19 pm

The previous homeowners put in a large one in my front yard, but it's way too close to the house for my liking. A lot of people in my neighborhood have small ones in their landscaping and they look nice, kind of like a large hibiscus. Something like mine should have really been planted in its own bed, but oh well. For now I'll just keep trimming it back as it encroaches the house and entry walk, I don't really want to replace it.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » April 16th, 2016, 11:07 pm

I FOUND THEM! I was out looking around at nurseries today and happened to stop by a really small one. Believe it or not, they had 3 Galaxies. They all had frost damage on early blooms, but I need to find out where they came from. I wasn't even going to stop there. I had been there before a year ago and it seemed all they had were ornamentals. Now I'm debating if I should buy 2 and put them on the blvd. The Jurmag1s won't be in until May. Another stroke of luck, they are receiving Acer Griseum 'Gingerbread' on Monday.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » April 16th, 2016, 11:35 pm

LoneRanger wrote:Another stroke of luck, they are receiving Acer Griseum 'Gingerbread' on Monday.
Jealous. I would appreciate the faster growth rate.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » April 29th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Well a few decisions have been made so far, I hope. A Magnolia 'Sunsation' will go in front of the dining room window and 2 Acer Rubrum 'Frank Jr.' will be go on the blvd. I still need to decide on the corner and front yard trees. The front yard is a decision bewtween Magnolia 'Galaxy' and Acer Pseudoplatanus 'Regal Peticoat'. The corner is still up for debate.