Watering landscaping beds

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Dmt
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Watering landscaping beds

Post by Dmt » May 3rd, 2016, 10:00 am

I know that deep and infrequent is the mantra for the lawn (1 inch at a time and wait until it dries out), but is it different for landscaping beds?

My irrigation was recently renovated and the landscaper programmed the sprinkler system to water around 10 minutes per bed twice a week. Ten minutes does not put down an inch of water, though I haven't run the tuna can test on the new landscaping sprinklers yet to see exactly how long it takes. Should I be putting down an inch at a time infrequently like the lawn instead of frequent, shallow waterings?

Just for some background info, all of my very mature, large trees are watered when I water the grass so are getting an inch at a time. Most of the landscaping beds just include shrubs or small trees like crape myrtles. I had new landscaping installed behind my pool, including 7 new trees. I want the trees to grow quickly to provide some privacy from the neighbors so definitely don't want to underwater them.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Re: Watering landscaping beds

Post by LoneRanger » May 3rd, 2016, 7:52 pm

Total gallons per cycle and mulch make a huge difference.

Dmt
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Re: Watering landscaping beds

Post by Dmt » May 3rd, 2016, 9:39 pm

All beds are covered with several inches of hardwood mulch. No idea the gallons per cycle but I think it takes about 30 minutes to put down an inch of water based on a quick test I ran. I just didn't know if ornamentals and smaller trees required a full inch of water.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image