Pruning Live Oaks

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Pruning Live Oaks

Post by dfw_pilot » August 11th, 2016, 9:15 pm

I'd like to get some thoughts on pruning live oaks. Google seems pretty sporadic on the info.

Here's the front tree today:

Here's the same tree 3.5 years ago (thanks Milo!):

I've got 10 that have been in the ground on my lot for about three years. I didn't want to mess with them until they became more fully rooted, especially with these hot summers. Now they are getting too bushy in my opinion, and they yank my hat off when mowing underneath them. They are also shading out all my Bermuda below them. I'm not sure where to start, but I need them to be higher off the ground, I'd like to promote good growth and structure, and not take off too much at once. I've considered calling the nursery where we bought them, but question whether they know more than an arborist would. I know guys like Tony have used an arborist, but are we talking $50 or hundreds? If it's not that complicated, just share what you know here and I'll start lopping off branches. Thanks.

Alan
Grass Type: St. Aug, but converting to Bermuda

Re: Pruning Live Oaks

Post by Alan » August 11th, 2016, 9:43 pm

I thought about saying something about that tree too, but I bit my tongue, but now that there's a thread for it...I would trim the lower branches off of it. Trimming the lower branches should force growth upward(think Bermuda grass when you cut it low, it spreads, well, this is kind of similar, but opposite, maybe). I think live oaks are pretty hardy provided they're not too stressed(drought, disease, etc.), but I'm no tree expert. I have one that needs a trim too.

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » August 11th, 2016, 10:16 pm

dfw, here's what I've learned from my arborist from the past two years. First, a good arborist, trained in a University program, takes his degree in arbor culture to the place that most arborists gain the most experience.that is the USDA in the National Forestry program. There, they learn the ropes
of arboriculture. The position is seasonal, as many states have budget constraints. With the newly obtained experience, they seek positions with national arborist companies. My arborist is affiliated with Bartlett Tree Experts, an internationally renown service company in arbor culture. To give an example, I spent approximately $300.00 for raising the canopy and deep root fertilization for two trees. My trees are the tallest and healthiest on my street. For me it was money well spent because I learned so much during his consultation and work performed by a technician that came to prune and fertilize. I also receive updates via email from my arborist about various issues that are season related. One of the amazing things I learned was that offending tree roots can be cut, while a tree is still young, by just using a sharp wood chisel(those roots that are growing towards your foundation). He said I could do this myself, since I found roots growing towards the flower beds in front of my house. This cut should be made as straight as possible, below the surface, and, the young tree wil suffer no harm. After a certain age, the offending roots should be pruned by a qualified arborist that can determine the resulting health of the tree. To be breif; and not go on and on, there is so much to be learned from a competent teacher. My objective for early pruning was from the arborist's explaination to train the young oak tree to grow up in height above the roof line,and not grow with a lower canopy while it is still young. Sorry for being so long winded.
Good Luck!

LTCM
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by LTCM » August 12th, 2016, 1:23 am

Which variety of Live Oak do you have planted? People are generally referring to Quercus virginiana but there are quite a few trees which fall into the category.

I grew up in coastal SC, so I've seen my fair share of Live Oaks. It's pretty rare to see top quality bermuda grow under Q. virginiana. I'm sure some of that is due to the local climate and culture in the Low Country promoting sprawling trees, but man, they sure aren't going to do your bermuda any favors directly underneath. That tree will be absolutely magnificent, however.

I'd make sure to get the professional talking a little about the normal characteristics of live oak trees in solitary environments, like what you have in front. In my experience, even with trimming the lower branches, if a Live Oak has no competition for light it is going to spread almost every time. But you guys may just be growing completely different trees than what I'm familiar with.

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » August 12th, 2016, 6:40 am

LTCM, are you familiar with the "new-kid-on-the-block? Hopefully, dfw_pilot has one. You are quite right that a live oak will dominate the landscape if left to grow unpruned, or insufficenty pruned while young. However, many of the professional landscape architects are now turning to the high rise oak species.
Here's a link from a tree farm that specializes in "high rise oaks", in urban landscapes.
: http://www.sptreefarm.com/highrise-live ... e-buy.html

Edit: wanted to add one more link. http://collier.ifas.ufl.edu/CommHort/Co ... 20Oaks.pdf

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Thank you

Post by dfw_pilot » August 12th, 2016, 9:11 am

Thank you, gents. The tree farm we bought them from doesn't say what scientific name of live oak they are selling, but I'm sure a call to them would let me know. I just found out that the tree farm has recently added an arborist to its staff. Depending on pricing, I may go with him or call around. Like Alan says, I'll probably trim a few lower branches, but beyond that, like what Tony has mentioned, I'll certainly rather have some money well spent on some quality guidance.

I'm hopeful that I can have bermuda in the front yard for a few more years, but with nine trees in the back yard, the grass beneath them is as good as dead in that amount of time. Dwarf Mondo will probably be in the cards, unless a better idea emerges.