Dwarf alberta spruce

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Dwarf alberta spruce

Post by __JT__ » September 7th, 2016, 8:28 am

I have this dwarf alberta spruce (third growing season)that's getting some browning. These pics are from 7/23, when first noticed, but it’s gotten much worse since (been wrapped up in a backyard renovation, and haven’t the bandwidth to get to it). I’ve read you can spray water to knock off mites, so this week end, while power washing the house, I gave it a few pulse shots.

Yesterday, I picked up a Bonide product that is both a horticultural and a dormant oil, however now reading the label fine print, it says that dwarf albertas are not tolerant to spray oils, bummer. Has anyone had any luck with any other products? or could recommend an insecticidal soap for mites? There’s a twin on other side of porch (in good shape) that I’d like to keep it even with, seeing how they take like 8-10 years to get substantial. It’s a shame when you see them brown out.

glenforest
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Re: Dwarf alberta spruce

Post by glenforest » September 7th, 2016, 3:18 pm

I went looking for insecticidal soap to spray spider mites on false indigo, but I couldn't find any locally. So I settled on Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew (active ingredient spinosad) because it was the only thing on the shelf besides the oil sprays that was labeled for mites. It worked terrifically well in my case.

I should say I sprayed preventively early in the season after having mite infestations in the previous two years.

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by __JT__ » September 8th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Thanks glenforest! That looks good. I’m going to try it out.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by seiyafan » September 15th, 2016, 10:59 am