Swamp White Oak

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Swamp White Oak

Post by kbgfarmer » September 15th, 2016, 5:48 pm

I just looked through my landscape plan when my house was built and found that I have two Swamp White Oak Tress in my backyard. I knew they were oaks but now know the exact species. They haven't really grown much in the last three years they have been here. I would guess they are about 20 feet tall right now. Anyone know how fast they should be growing? Are they just still babies and in a few years the growth will accelerate?. I read that they can reach 50 to 100 feet tall and live 300 years or more.

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Swamp White Oak

Post by Tony alony » September 17th, 2016, 6:58 pm

kbgfarmer, Congrats!! A swamp oak is a beautiful specimen. Saw this picture : http://shade-trees.tripod.com/families/ ... oak.html#g
I thought about how it would look in anyone's landscape. Do you have a picture of yours in the landscape? I haven't seen an older specimien in person of an older growth. Let us see how it looks during its younger age.

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » September 18th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Tony alony wrote:kbgfarmer, Congrats!! A swamp oak is a beautiful specimen. Saw this picture : http://shade-trees.tripod.com/families/ ... oak.html#g
I thought about how it would look in anyone's landscape. Do you have a picture of yours in the landscape? I haven't seen an older specimien in person of an older growth. Let us see how it looks during its younger age.

Here are a couple of pics of one of the trees. Sorry for poor quality

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » September 18th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Looking good, KBG! Plenty of room to grow, and no mulch ring... :good: It looks to be about as highas you stated. And 4-6" caliper at 3 years old? That's great.
Your lawn looks great also.

Edit: couldn't post without a link, :D I'm sure you know all this: http://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/t ... -white-oak

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » September 19th, 2016, 8:01 am

Thank you. Just starting to learn about trees. This lawn obsession is spilling over into other areas. Pardon my ignorance but what is meant by "mulch ring"? The practice of mulching around the base of a tree or the opposite? I had let the grass grow over the original mulching but just last week added a layer of brown mulch at base? Supposed to help with root water retention or not worthwhile?

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » September 19th, 2016, 10:01 am

KGB, :roll: I don't wish to start a flame war, but, since when did trees unlearn/forget how to get water and nutrients from the soil? Perhaps a newly transplanted sapling might? Here's why I based my opinion on eliminating mulch rings. The following spring after planting, I was about to refresh the mulch from what was put down by the landscapers. I was clearing the mulch by hand and received a nasty cut from the basket that was left on the tree at planting. To make a long story short, I told the builder to replace the tree because it wasn't planted properly; which he did. The tree was lifted out of the ground with the same basket that was left at planting. It was at that time that I noticed a real mess of fine roots growing in the mulch. Anyway, I put down a little mulch with the new transplant. Later, I removed it all, and the tree is doing fine nearly 3-1/2 years later. Here's the article I based my decision upon : http://landscapeofmeaning.blogspot.com/ ... rings.html. The article made sense to me, only time will tell.... :hello:

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » September 19th, 2016, 10:30 am

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I wasn't planning on remulching but noticed everyone does it. I actually like the look without mulch!! Guess I have a project to do today. It will be gone. Thanks again.

guisertj
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by guisertj » September 23rd, 2016, 9:18 pm

You can mulch the drip zone, but keep it away from the base of the tree. Around our parts they call it "volcanoe mulching" and it very much does hurt trees.

[ Post made via Android ] Image