Too late?

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
mdseverin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Too late?

Post by mdseverin » October 11th, 2016, 2:59 pm

I'm in the Chicagoland area. The high temp vary from mid 60 to mid 70 right now. At night it can drop down to the 40's Can I still plant trees and shrubs, or would it be better to wait? I don't know how long is needed for a plant to be established before the winter hits.

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Too late?

Post by TimmyG » October 11th, 2016, 4:46 pm

It's a fantastic time to plant perennials and deciduous trees and shrubs. Lots of time left.

Think of it this way: if someone doesn't buy those potted trees or shrubs, the nursery will just heel them in for the winter (protect the roots from the cold) and then pull them back out for sale in the spring. Regardless of how hardy a plant it, the roots are only good to somewhere in the low 20s. The best way to protect the roots? Plant it or sink the pot/ball in the ground in a temporary location. The plant won't "establish" any more this year; it will just go dormant. The reason to buy now is to save money!

mdseverin

Post by mdseverin » October 12th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Thank you!

Billy
Grass Type: Cool season and warm season

Post by Billy » October 12th, 2016, 2:49 pm

I'll agree with Timmy on the answer (yes, fall is a great time to plant prerennial trees and shrubs), but I'll differ on the reason.

Planting in fall takes advantage of the natural growth cycle of a perennial plant. Although air temps are cooling, soil temps will remain elevated for a while longer (changes in soil temp always lag changes in air temps). This allows for root growth without the demands of shoot growth. It also gives your plants some favorable weather with which to recover from the shock of transplant.

If you were to plant in the spring, the soil temps stay cool as the air temps warm up, so you'll have a plant that's responding with shoot growth, but root growth is lagging behind. The result is usually an unhealthy plant that doesn't fend off insects or diseases very well.

Happy planting!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » October 12th, 2016, 7:43 pm

I just bought a sh#t load of trees and shrubs I'm going to plant this weekend. There's a family farm that sells trees and shrubs at a great discount this time of year.

We are working on our back yard that is long over due.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » October 12th, 2016, 9:33 pm

I'm in total agreement with Billy, for once.