Fertilizer for New Norway Spruce?

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
TiminIndy
Grass Type: Northern mix (front overseeded with TTTF Fall `11) (back overseeded with Bullseye / Van Gogh TTTF Fall `12)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Fertilizer for New Norway Spruce?

Post by TiminIndy » October 31st, 2016, 10:19 pm

Just planted a 6' Norway Spruce a couple weeks ago and was wondering if I should give it any fertilizer this year. I dug a hole more than twice the size of the root ball and then mixed in Miracle Gro Tree and Shrub Garden Soil 1:1 with the native soil. The MG soil says it is "fortified with phosphorous and iron" and lists NPK as .09-.07-.05, so not much there.

I read that they prefer an acidic soil and mine was a little alkaline on my last soil test at 4" (7.3ph). I have some Miracle Gro Miracid laying around that apparently did wonders for the yews I planted several years ago, but everything tends to grow like weeds in my soil (loose, dark, sandy loam).

Should I hit it with some Miracid or something else?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Fertilizer for New Norway Spruce?

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 1st, 2016, 9:16 am

That's a big tree! In general I've learned to avoid putting any fertilizer in the planting hole where it may burn roots. Other than that, I'd wait until next spring and lightly fertilize then when I'm out applying things to my lawn. More important than fertilizer is regular watering right now to settle the soil and get the tree to root in well over the next few months.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » February 28th, 2017, 4:10 pm

I planted twelve 6'-8' trees (various evergreens including two Norways) last year to give me a nice line and the advice i got from multiple places was the same, don't put anything other than the native soil in the planting hole as the tree doesn't need any help in that department. Doing so encourages the roots to "stay local" and not network out in search of the desired nutrients. I did however put the root stimulator on the outside of the root ball.....though that was the only thing i did. Being so close (the edge) of my kept yard, they said that it will get all it needs from the fertilizing of my lawn. Watering, and deeply at that, as HLG said is the key thing to do once a week in the first year.

HTH

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Swamp_Fox » April 15th, 2017, 3:44 am

I've always fertilized evergreens in the fall. I was told years ago its best to avoid fertilizing for the first year after transplant. Tree transplanting and their initial lack of vertical growth can be very frustrating. Just remember the old saying: the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, the third year they leap.