Peach tree rehab

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Summerlin
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Peach tree rehab

Post by Summerlin » January 31st, 2017, 12:29 am

I'm by no means an arborist, but I wanted to share my multi year commitment to healthy and productive peach trees, beginning with a decent pruning.

I'll share some before and after pics. I inherited these trees when my wife and I bought the house in Oct 2015, and they have been neglected. I pruned very little last winter, but had no idea what I was doing. Some trees are young and there's 2 that look to be over 4 years old or more.

I don't anticipate any fruit growth this growing season just to be clear. I'm looking ahead to 2018 as being a first shot at a decent peach crop (with my definition of decent being 10 edible fruits or more). I pruned 9 trees this past weekend. The tenth tree is next to my apple trees across a field that I've left untouched for another reason.

Lemme know if I went too drastic with my initial rehab to these trees. Next pruning season I will prune the upright and downward/underside shoot growth, then prune back 1/3 of the desirable shoots to stiffen the branch.

Before:

After:

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Peach tree rehab

Post by TimmyG » January 31st, 2017, 5:21 pm

The framework looks great on those last two. I'm impressed! Good open vase shape which should let a lot of light and air in the middle. Most people are too nervous to do the pruning that is necessary. Peaches (and nectarines) are vigorous growers and do require aggressive pruning just about every year for good fruit production and support. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a good deal of fruit this year.

I'm sure you've already done your research and viewed a number of pruning videos online. Before you've done it yourself and witnessed the results first hand, you'd think all those professional peach growers were insane for how aggressively they prune. It's a challenge keeping up with the vigorous growth of a healthy peach tree, and I've only ever had one or two at a time!

Summerlin

Post by Summerlin » January 31st, 2017, 9:20 pm

The last picture is the after shot of both trees from the before pictures. Thanks for the encouragemen! I would be blown away if I had some decent peaches this year!

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » February 7th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Yeah I will agree, you will prob get a crop this year as those trees look primed. Very nice shape as noted with good scaffold branches. Have you tested the soil?

As for the pruning, I can't tell one little branch from another but you've pretty much trimmed all but the main one. Maybe from here on out you trim the top and bottom branches but leave/train the side ones.

Summerlin

Post by Summerlin » February 8th, 2017, 6:22 pm

PSU4ME wrote:
February 7th, 2017, 3:22 pm
Yeah I will agree, you will prob get a crop this year as those trees look primed. Very nice shape as noted with good scaffold branches. Have you tested the soil?

As for the pruning, I can't tell one little branch from another but you've pretty much trimmed all but the main one. Maybe from here on out you trim the top and bottom branches but leave/train the side ones.
I have not tested the soil. I haven't even tested the soil for the front lawn... :o

That is the plan from here out. I will prune and minimize the undesirable new growth and train the trees to grow laterally. These trees have some hope!