What to do with my trees...

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Yossarian
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

What to do with my trees...

Post by Yossarian » March 24th, 2017, 3:30 pm

The builder planted these two monterrey oaks in my front yard. I feel like they were spaced way too close together. I also think that they'll eventually cause problems for my grass, but honestly, I'd rather have the trees than the grass. My front yard is so small that I could just landscape it and grow grass elsewhere.

My question is: Can I prune more of the bottom limbs off? It sends out long messy shoots every spring which tend to sag really low. I don't want to go too aggressive and damage the tree, or give it a lollipop look.

B

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Re: What to do with my trees...

Post by STL » March 24th, 2017, 10:10 pm

I'm no tree expert but that doesn't look thought out at all. If it were me, I'd look to transplant one or both.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » March 24th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Although not huge, Monterrey oaks grow large enough that you'll definitely want to sacrifice one or the other in order to give the remaining one the space to grow into a beautiful specimen tree. Those are rapidly growing trees, so I would suggest doing it sooner rather than later. As for pruning the lower limbs, have at it. If you've never done it before, read up a little on the dos and don'ts so that you feel more comfortable doing it. Honestly, pruning is super easy; you just want to be smart about it so as not to damage the tree in the process. I do suggest that you peruse images online of mature Monterrey oaks to understand their shape and growth habit. See what a high-limbed mature specimen looks like before you take the plunge.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 25th, 2017, 11:44 am

Yeah, that's my fear. I figured one would have to go. I swear the contractors in new construction homes don't have two brain cells to rub together. I'm wanting to keep the tree on the left to provide shade for the driveway, but the tree on the right is a little taller, althought it leans slightly.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » March 25th, 2017, 3:42 pm

From what little I can glean of your landscape from the photo, I, too, would lean toward keeping the one on the left, closer to the driveway and sidewalk, further from the house.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 2nd, 2017, 11:24 pm

I'm really thinking of taking down the tree on the left, the smaller one. It's maybe 2.5 feet farther from the house and is looking kind of shabby as of late. The tree on the right continues to grow really strongly.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » June 4th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Might want to eventually rethink the stone ring as well as the tree gets bigger and avoid a 'mulch volcano' on the base of the trunk. That area needs to breath to help keep the tree healthy.

BlairGuerrero
Grass Type: Rye grass

Post by BlairGuerrero » July 21st, 2017, 8:32 am

Try relocating the trees in your backyard if you have enough space there.