Tree Identification & Wilting Prevention

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Bluesrx9
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tree Identification & Wilting Prevention

Post by Bluesrx9 » May 15th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Can anyone help identify this type of tree? We moved to a new house last year. This tree flowered nicely and then soon after all the leaves all wilted, died and fell off the tree and it we lost our privacy. I would like to prevent that from happening this year. Maybe a Bayer tree spray?

Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Tree Identification & Wilting Prevention

Post by andy10917 » May 15th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Hints like bloom pix, time of bloom and pix of a leaf on a white sheet of paper (with a quarter on the page to provide size reference all help. A picture like what you provided gives little information.

Bluesrx9
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Bluesrx9 » May 16th, 2017, 11:24 am

Hopefully these pictures can help. It looks like some mold growing on the branches also.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » May 16th, 2017, 11:50 am

From the closeups, it looks to me like it might be an apple or crabapple tree. I think that looks like lichen in the last picture. I don't think lichen is harmful to trees, but I could be wrong.

I don't really have an answer to why the leaves wilted and fell off. How often did you water it last year? Was last year especially wet or dry? What's your soil like? Do you know if the leaves fell off that way for the prior owners?

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 16th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I was certain that it was a crabapple but figured I'd wait for closeups to confirm. It's definitely a crabapple. The lichen is not parasitic and will not harm the tree.

The most common diseases of crabapples are scab, fire blight, cedar-apple rust, and powdery mildew. The disease most responsible for defoliation is cedar-apple rust. Your tree looks fantastic this year, so it's hard to imagine that it succumb to heavy enough rust pressure last year to cause complete defoliation, which usually results in sparse leaves and flowering the following years. The yellow/orange spotting of leaves is unmistakable with cedar-apple rust.

Read up on cedar-apple rust and fire blight. ID what you have based on you what you observed last year. I refer to the VT Pest Management Guide: Home Grounds and Animals on such matters, particularly fungicide and pesticide choices and schedules for fruit trees. I spray apples, crabapples, and hawthorns with Immunox (myclobutanil) to prevent cedar-apple rust, which is rampant in this area. The infection happens well before visible symptoms, so it must be applied multiple times early.