Maple Tree problem

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Maple Tree problem

Post by smast16 » May 25th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Hey all, something is up with my maple tree. Its an Autumn Blaze and I've had it for 18 months. I noticed the issue last summer and had someone look at it. He told me it was just a lack of water. I believed him as it was very hot and very dry last summer. By the beginning of August the leaves were dying and falling off. I thought it was dying, but in early September it grew a handful of leaves that it held onto till the end of fall. This spring it opened up, and is full of leaves. But, the spots are showing back up. Its been cool and very wet this spring. I did spray it last week with a fungicide as I also have a fungal issue in the grass right below. I've tried to identify the issue, but I don't see any fungal issues that resemble these spots.

Any ideas?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Maple Tree problem

Post by andy10917 » May 25th, 2017, 10:41 pm

I've tried to identify the issue, but I don't see any fungal issues that resemble these spots.
Since you researched it, what is it that made you eliminate Tar Spot as a possibility?

smast16

Post by smast16 » May 26th, 2017, 8:17 am

Hey Andy!
Well, the spots are never raised, and they don't look overly black, even at the late stages. I pulled this from the Wisconsin Horticulture website.
Initial symptoms of tar spot are small (approximately 1∕8 inch) yellowish spots that form on infected leaves. These spots may remain relatively small, or may enlarge over the growing season to roughly 3∕4 inch in diameter. As tar spot progresses, the center of the infected area becomes raised and turns black. This black area resembles a blob of tar on the leaf surface. Careful examination of the tar-like areas reveals convoluted line patterns that resemble fingerprints.
Almost all material states that tar spot is harmless as the disease is cosmetic. I did take this next quote from the same site, but many other sites say the same thing
For most maples, tar spot is not a serious disease. It is primarily a cosmetic disease that makes the tree look a little ragged, but does not kill the tree, nor even cause serious defoliation.
What will and is happening with this tree is that these spots will spread, but more so in a necrotic fashion. The leaves will just be curled up and dead and will eventually fall off, around August. The entire tree will be void of leaves, and I can't get on board the idea that that is harmless. Now maybe that's just because the tree is so young, and i could be wrong, but that's why i dismissed tarspot.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » May 26th, 2017, 11:17 am

Looks like early tar spot. It's really bad in my neighborhood but as noted above considered a cosmetic issue for mature trees. For small trees (sounds like yours) it does stunt growth because there is less surface area for photosynthesis to occur and the leaves will change color prematurely. The only way to permanently treat it is to treat every Maple tree within a mile or so radius.

What I do as preventative on my small Maple tree is spray Mancozeb every Spring as the leaves start coming out. It's important to get the leaves as early as you can, and it should keep it off of each leaf treated for the entire year if it isn't already infected at the time of application.

smast16

Post by smast16 » May 26th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Mancozeb it is. Adding to my spring "to-do" list. Thanks for the input rtomek and Andy!