Looking to make mulch bed around some trees

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Looking to make mulch bed around some trees

Post by Maizan24 » May 27th, 2017, 10:25 am

I have an area in my back yard that has become very cumbersome to mow due to a couple trees that have some exposed roots. I was going to make a nice mulch bed with some meandering curves that go around the problem area.

The question is how to get started. I read somewhere that the grass should be removed before laying the mulch down. So should I mark off the border and just use some round up on the area that will be mulched to kill it off or is it ok to just lay the mulch right over whats already there?

chrismar
Grass Type: Front: KBG / Back: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Looking to make mulch bed around some trees

Post by chrismar » May 27th, 2017, 11:53 am

Use a hose to lay out the shape and curves of the bed. The take a garden or square shovel and go follow the hose to make an edge. Remove the grass using a hoe or pick mattock. Definitely don't just mulch over the grass, it might look good to start but it'll be a headache down the road.

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » May 27th, 2017, 4:44 pm

chrismar wrote:
May 27th, 2017, 11:53 am
Use a hose to lay out the shape and curves of the bed. The take a garden or square shovel and go follow the hose to make an edge. Remove the grass using a hoe or pick mattock. Definitely don't just mulch over the grass, it might look good to start but it'll be a headache down the road.
Yeah I read about the hose trick and was going to do that. I also bought a half moon edger to make a nice edge and then I was going to kill, if needed, all the vegetation within the boundaries. LoOKs like I need to so that's the plan. Thanks for the confirmation.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 30th, 2017, 9:15 pm

If you're the type of person who wants to let things sit a while and look at your potential design for a week or two before you dig, you could also outline it with turf paint.