Questions on spraying Bt (on a Hickory tree) for gypsy moth caterpillars

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Questions on spraying Bt (on a Hickory tree) for gypsy moth caterpillars

Post by Green » June 13th, 2017, 12:30 am

Wow. At this point, I can see a big difference between the tree I sprayed and the larger trees nearby. The larger ones are seriously being defoliated...there isn't much leaf surface left. Very few caterpillars are on the Bt-treated tree, and it kept a lot more of its leaf tissue.
PSU4ME wrote:
June 1st, 2017, 8:03 am
I applied these to my trees.
I may take this approach on one of the larger trees that's being defoliated. Since some of the caterpillars are going to be around for a few more weeks, I want to prevent the second set of replacement leaves from also being totally eaten when they come out...as that would be a huge stress on that tree.

If I put a sticky band on the tree, does it matter what time of day I put it on? I'd hate to trap the caterpillars up in the tree, and make it even worse...I'd rather they get stuck near the ground. If they tend to crawl down at the end of the day, wouldn't that be the best time to put the band up?

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Questions on spraying Bt (on a Hickory tree) for gypsy moth caterpillars

Post by PSU4ME » June 13th, 2017, 7:39 am

Using that logic, which makes sense, then you'd want to apply it is the early am or possibly at night when whatever population of the cats comes down. Putting it on during the day may trap them.

Put up a bird feeder too...... natural predators!

Glad the hickory is doing well.