Tree Slice

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
krusej23
Grass Type: Rye, fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tree Slice

Post by krusej23 » June 15th, 2017, 9:18 am

I have inherited a tree that the neighbors planted on our property before we bought our lot and built. Not sure exactly what kind of tree it is but I get to take care of it since the neighbors don't take care of anything. We had a storm come through the other night and a branch is broken now which it was going to have to get cut off eventually anyway. When I found that, I also noticed a slice that goes almost from the bottom of the tree to as far as I can see up in the tree. I included some pictures of it and you can see the broken branch in the one. What is the slice in the tree and is it bad? Also, could anyone clue me in on what kind of tree this is? Thanks!

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Re: Tree Slice

Post by g-man » June 15th, 2017, 9:59 am

Based on the leave, that is a maple. The crack looks like bark splitting. It is common on some maples on the south, southeast side of the trunk. It develops from the freeze and thaw cycles in the winter (sun hits the south side of the trunk). It should heal as long as the tree is still healthy.

Google bark splitting for more info.

krusej23
Grass Type: Rye, fescue

Re: Tree Slice

Post by krusej23 » June 15th, 2017, 10:39 am

g-man wrote:
June 15th, 2017, 9:59 am
Based on the leave, that is a maple. The crack looks like bark splitting. It is common on some maples on the south, southeast side of the trunk. It develops from the freeze and thaw cycles in the winter (sun hits the south side of the trunk). It should heal as long as the tree is still healthy.

Google bark splitting for more info.
Thank you! It is on the south, southwest side of the tree so that makes sense.