Japanese Maple - Possible insect damage?

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Japanese Maple - Possible insect damage?

Post by Casutherland » June 23rd, 2017, 12:37 pm

Hey guys, can anyone help identify what may be going on with my Japanese Maple? Is this normal to see leaves curling up like that? I'm not sure if this is insect damage or some sort of disease? Couple it possibly be heat related??

kg70041
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Japanese Maple - Possible insect damage?

Post by kg70041 » July 11th, 2017, 3:48 pm

I take it that it's probably been pretty hot in your area for awhile now? Assuming the JM is getting adequate water...is it mulched deep enough to retain moisture?

Had a quick conversation in passing with one of the folks at our local nursery about it...first thought was something drought stress related but then transitioned into a potential fungus problem?

A little quick research seems to come to the consensus that the fungus issue would show as more of a powdery mildew-like substance or spotted leaves.

Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Casutherland » July 13th, 2017, 4:24 pm

kg70041 wrote:
July 11th, 2017, 3:48 pm
I take it that it's probably been pretty hot in your area for awhile now? Assuming the JM is getting adequate water...is it mulched deep enough to retain moisture?

Had a quick conversation in passing with one of the folks at our local nursery about it...first thought was something drought stress related but then transitioned into a potential fungus problem?

A little quick research seems to come to the consensus that the fungus issue would show as more of a powdery mildew-like substance or spotted leaves.
Mmmm could be a lack of water I guess. Yes it has been hot in my area. How much water does this require per week? I feel like I have been giving it at least an inch a week.

I do not believe that its an issue of the mulch,because i spread it relatively thin. Maybe about an inch? I will say though that its on a slight slope, so some of the water its getting is washing down hill?

When I purchased it, it came in a 20 gallon bag. It was 8 ft tall.

kg70041
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by kg70041 » July 14th, 2017, 8:16 am

We have our Tamukeyama JM mulched at about 2-3 inches deep. Some 'experts' advise even deeper as it helps the soil retain moisture. We like to water only when it's been excessively dry/hot. If the JM was relatively mature when it was planted then it probably doesn't need much water.

We selected the Tamukeyama mostly for the dwarf growth habit but also because it does much better in full sun than most JMs. Your variety and weather situation might be hampering you a bit...but just a guess.

We've still got our small 'berm' built around the JM to hold whatever water falls through the canopy (and what we give it). Might be worth trying to build a small berm on the downhill side to prevent water from rolling off. Maybe one of those slow-release watering bags could be an option as well?

I specifically recall my research noting that any mulch shouldn't directly touch the trunk of the tree, can't remember why at the moment.