Red Oak Borers

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
GregGeis
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Red Oak Borers

Post by GregGeis » July 21st, 2017, 10:11 am

I try not to do this, but I'm posting a question before researching much because we had some limb damage and the Arborist came out and while they're out they wanted to do a treatment on the tree for $250 (the guys are doing the work the same day). The tree definiteoh has a problem, but they're solution doesn't sound accurate to me. A long time ago someone cut a huge branch right by the base of the tree too close and the wound never healed properly. There is a large portion of bark that has come off, a foot or so and it looks like it will probably never heal. You can see the borer holes there and around the area.

Their treatment plan is to spray with Adonis 2F for the borers, inject Porpizol I believe into the root system for fungus control and APEX-10 for nutrients. They said the treatment will last for 2 years and you have to be licensed to acquire them. The 2 years is the biggest red flag. I don't know how a spray insecticide could possibly last 2 years. I would definitely perform it myself if I could but I believe the Propizol is what I can't purchase.

Anyway, does anyone know if this is an appropriate or sustainable treatment? Is there any other information I should consider before performing treatment? I think I'm just going to have them hold off for now until I learn more about it.

I appreciate the assistance. I can post a picture up later of the tree. I'm thinking from the damage and what I've read it is going to be a losing battle.

73Chall
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Red Oak Borers

Post by 73Chall » November 2nd, 2017, 6:48 am

Sans any response here, I would check with my local extension service (usually associated with university research and experts) — they are incredible resources too oft-not tapped. Certainly, best o’ Success!