Arborvitae Nigra care question for NY/NJ area (PIC)

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
nutshellml
Grass Type: Rye, Fescue, KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Arborvitae Nigra care question for NY/NJ area (PIC)

Post by nutshellml » September 30th, 2017, 10:31 am

Morning all, I have about a 100' run of arborvitae nigra's that are about 25-30' tall. The previous owner did not do any care, I noticed last winter the snow was getting little heavy. Have a question that I have asked local tree "experts" and received two opposite answers.

Question: I would like to get them trimmed and topped (as one side is about 2' lower than other), what is best time?

Expert 1 Answer - I would skip trimming them now, in the fall, and wait until July. Because July/August is after the growth and gives the branches/trees time to "heal". I would not top them at all, as this will "open" the tops up and snow fall into the middle.

Expert 2 Answer - There are no issues if you do them right now, as the branches will still have time to heal prior to the first frost, we even can trim them in late fall early winter and there shouldn't be any issues. We can top them to even out the row, I would do any more than 2'.

I also asking if when pruning/trimming, should you go UP with the hedgetrimmer or DOWN, each had different answers, I thought that you should go DOWN with the trimmer.

(Note: Pic was a Pano from iPhone so may not look to scale)

Thanks for any info!