Deciduous Tree Pruning?

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Deciduous Tree Pruning?

Post by Green » March 30th, 2018, 2:26 pm

I read a few online tutorials on pruning young deciduous trees. I have a Hickory (not sure the exact type, but it has large leaves). Anyway, I was reading that in general, trees shouldn't have branches directly across from one another at the same or similar heights due to competition or something. It sounded suspect to me though. Is there any merit to this idea? I think scaffold branches look odd when the heights are staggered...it looks like a tree had too many branches removed, too aggressively.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Deciduous Tree Pruning?

Post by PSU4ME » April 17th, 2018, 4:25 pm

I “think” that pruning a tree is quite dependent on how the tree is to be trained such as a central leader or an open vase etc etc. With it being a hickory, I’d expect it to be pretty close to a central leader if not it’s natursl tendency.

Me personally, I wouldn’t do too much pruning other than encouraging that central leader and removing the dead/diseased branches if present.

Green

Post by Green » April 18th, 2018, 2:00 pm

PSU4ME wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 4:25 pm
With it being a hickory, I’d expect it to be pretty close to a central leader if not it’s natursl tendency.
Thanks for replying. That is correct.
PSU4ME wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 4:25 pm
Me personally, I wouldn’t do too much pruning other than encouraging that central leader and removing the dead/diseased branches if present.
It really hasn't needed much...in the past there were a few branches that were too low and touched the ground, and needed to be removed.

I also read that branches that form too small an angle (less than 45 degrees) should be removed in general because they tend to break easily in a storm later.

Why would it not be ok to have branches directly across from one another as some sources suggested?

I'm trying to figure this all out before the leaves open up.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 18th, 2018, 2:23 pm

The branch angle (crotch angle) is more important on fruiting trees due to the weight but I couldn’t say you’d be wrong if you wanted to manage that.

Branches across from one another is odd to me. Other than balance and then having their own “level” to grow I do t know other benefits. Inward and downward growing branches are usually on the chopping block too.

Green

Post by Green » April 18th, 2018, 9:14 pm

PSU4ME wrote:
April 18th, 2018, 2:23 pm
Branches across from one another is odd to me. Other than balance and then having their own “level” to grow I do t know other benefits.
Can you please elaborate a bit?

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 19th, 2018, 7:28 am

Sorry, prob not my best explaining job! What I was trying to say was that I don’t know of any reason for why pruning branches across from each other would make sense. “unless” it’s for balance. It’s possible that branches meeting at the same point on the trunk make that point weaker. I don’t know, really just guessing. From a looks standpoint, a staggered branch level could give off the appearance on a fuller tree but pruning is usually for tree health so once again I’m just guessing on some ideas here.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » April 19th, 2018, 8:03 am

The pruning of trees with cross branches is considered a best practice. It’s not new or novel.

It’s done for several reasons. One is that if branches grow close, they can rub against each other and wear away the bark, exposing the limb (and tree) to pests and pathogens.

It’s also done to prevent the branches from merging together, which can happen over extended periods of time (where the branches are in constant contact).

Green

Post by Green » April 19th, 2018, 5:54 pm

turf_toes wrote:
April 19th, 2018, 8:03 am
The pruning of trees with cross branches is considered a best practice. It’s not new or novel.

It’s done for several reasons. One is that if branches grow close, they can rub against each other and wear away the bark, exposing the limb (and tree) to pests and pathogens.

It’s also done to prevent the branches from merging together, which can happen over extended periods of time (where the branches are in constant contact).
This makes sense, to have enough room for each branch. As far as merging of branches...I had not thought of that.

Do you guys feel it's ok to prune a few branches off of a 12-foot Hickory with a 1.5-2 inch trunk diameter, right now during the next few dry days, now that the buds have grown most of the way? I guess ideally, you would do it before the buds get too large.

Or is it better to take a wait and see approach and do it later in the year after the leaves are out?

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 20th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Unless you had to, I’d probably prune it this coming winter. Pruning during the growing season isn’t terrible though if needed.

Green

Post by Green » April 21st, 2018, 1:26 pm

I was reading that early Winter pruning is bad...that late Winter or early Spring is best.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 23rd, 2018, 7:14 am

Yeah I usually wait till Jan-Mar for pruning activities.

Green

Post by Green » April 23rd, 2018, 9:17 pm

I still haven't decided yet what to do, as there's rain coming tomorrow night and the next day, but I will decide once it dries out.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 24th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Green,
Turf Toes mentions you should trim “cross branches” due to rubbing etc which I agree with but you said you have branches “directly across from each other”. Are they crossing as in touching or some other orientation? I’d agree that it they are rubbing they should be pruned. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that they were at similar heights on the tree just positioned around the trunk vs crossing each other.

Green

Post by Green » April 25th, 2018, 12:28 am

PSU4ME wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 5:10 pm
Green,
Turf Toes mentions you should trim “cross branches” due to rubbing etc which I agree with but you said you have branches “directly across from each other”. Are they crossing as in touching or some other orientation?
Oh, that's a really good distinction! I assumed both of you were talking about the same orientation, but now I see the difference in the two possible scenarios that you illustrated above. I do have branches directly across from one another on opposite sides of the trunk. I assumed that that was not supposed to be the case, but didn't (and still don't) totally understand the reasoning as to why it might be bad.

I will have to check to see if I have any branches that are actually crossed, as you mention, without enough room between them. But those would be branches on the same side.

I'm still not totally getting the reasoning behind not wanting same-level branches on opposing sides. If they're on opposite sides and going opposite directions, they should never touch, so why would it be an issue?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by TimmyG » April 25th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Green, I don't think I've ever seen it spelled out before, but the logic behind avoiding opposing branches probably isn't so much about competition, like for water, but rather about the structure and strength of the mature tree. As the tree matures in girth, the integrity of the trunk opposite each branch is key to supporting the increasing moment (torque) applied by the branch on the trunk. If sizable branches oppose one another, the load may seem balanced, but I bet the cellular growth at the junction just isn't as strong as it would be without the opposing branch.

Fortunately, most deciduous trees just naturally stagger their branching. Not always, though, and it's up to you to decide whether to intervene. Obviously, there are countless resources online providing advice on pruning of deciduous trees to obtain the best mature form. I like the graphics and simple yet comprehensive advice of this article. Under "Choosing and developing scaffold branches" it advises:
  • Choose branches that are evenly spaced (about 30 cm apart) and arranged radially around the trunk.
  • If several branches are located at the same height on the trunk, the tree will be weaker and less balanced. Keep the branch that is growing in the best direction and gradually remove the others.
As for crossing branches, as others have noted, those those should definitely be dealt with. For the logic there, you just have think what the tree is going to look like when it's mature. If two branches are crossing (remotely near each other), the short term concern is rubbing, which will strip the bark and weaken one or both branches. The long term concern is that the two branches will fuse together and each grown one sided at the intersection, really weakening each branch. Better to save one than lose both later.