Apple tree blooms

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Apple tree blooms

Post by PSU4ME » May 4th, 2018, 7:50 pm

I have 3 Apple trees all 3 or years old or so and right now they are breaking bud/leaf. 2 of them are just putting out leafs (the 2 smallest) but then the honey crisp is flowering. Does that mean it could produce fruit this year where the “non-flowering” ones won’t? Not sure if it producing flowers means anything.

If it is possible for it to yield fruit, I’ll need to go find a crabapple tree because my intended pollinators obviously won’t be doing their job!

Here is a pic

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Apple tree blooms

Post by greenrebellion » May 4th, 2018, 10:23 pm

Yes, flowers lead to fruit if pollinated. No flowers, no chance to get fruit. What are your other varieties? Are you sure they aren't going to bloom?

My 6 apple trees are about 4 years old and this is the first years where it looks like I will get a couple dozen apples. Only got one apple last year as my other trees had minimal bloom and the fruit that did form got dropped shortly after fruit set.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 5th, 2018, 2:07 am

Yup, go find your self some other crabapples or apples in bloom. You can pollinate all fancy like with a swab or something, but just rubbing some other flowers to those flowers face to face will do the trick.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » May 5th, 2018, 7:37 am

Thanks guys. It made sense but I needed some confirmation! I have that honey crisp, a Liberty and I also planted a cortland due to pollination timing concerns so the three of them should play good together. My cortland is one year behind the other two and I planted it because I read that the honey crisp was an early spring bloomer and the Liberty late spring. The cortland would get them both. So it looks like this year I’ll be looking for a crabapple. I read that cutting a few branches obs just putting them in a bucket of water at the base of the tree would allow the bees to do their job.