Wind damage to newer tree

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
mdseverin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Wind damage to newer tree

Post by mdseverin » June 6th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I planted an Eastern Redbud last spring. It came tethered to a bamboo stick. This spring I removed the bamboo because I had read that trees should only be staked for one growing season. Over the weekend we had some strong winds and I noticed that the tree was leaning pretty bad. The actual trunk is only 1.5-2 inches in diameter. I do not see any splits in the trunk, but it will not stay straight. I got some nylon rope and staked it so it would stand straight. Do you think this will work or is there something else I should be doing?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Wind damage to newer tree

Post by TimmyG » June 6th, 2018, 3:31 pm

No harm in staking. I am constantly staking and restaking young trees, redbuds included, to coerce the trunks and/or branches how I want them to grow...and, of course, after wind or ice bends the trunks or slightly uproots the tree.

String, rope, and twine are abrasive and small in diameter and will quickly cut into the bark and cause permanent damage with any amount of tension applied. You can buy specialty straps and whatnot, but a smooth hose remnant or the like placed over the rope or twine works just as well to protect the bark. Use tall, flexible stakes to allow the tree to sway in the wind as is needed for it to grow strong naturally. Wood stakes are far better for this purpose than steel. Occasionally check and adjust the tension as needed.

Not staking is always the best option when feasible. But you don't have that option when the tree is in need of assistance.

This is an easy topic to Google for good ideas and advice and for the dos and don'ts.