Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Southern Catalpa: positive ID and suggestions

Post by Dargin » August 23rd, 2018, 12:13 pm

Need some input if anyone can chime in.
I tried identifying this:

From what I've gathered I think it's most likely a southern catalpa.

Apparently it was planted about 8 years ago, and in a spot that gets only 4-5 hours of full sun on its best day. It's just about 7 feet tall after 8 years - the previous tenant used to chop it down low before winter, so I'm not convinced the location is holding it back as far as size is concerned. Not yet anyway.

However, the thing hasn't flowered since I've lived here, about 6 years. I'm wondering if it might be a lost cause due to its placement, or if there's anything more I could be doing to help it develop? To date (over the last 2 years) I've only hit it with the occasional Milo and bone meal.

I love the big leaves on this thing, and would be happy with that alone if it would only fill out some more. It's a bit gangly as it stands now.

Any thoughts on how I might help this thing along? Thanks.

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Southern Catalpa: positive ID and suggestions

Post by TimmyG » August 23rd, 2018, 1:55 pm

I agree with your ID. They grow just fine up here as I'm sure you already know. It's hard to miss them when in bloom. Yes, it would grow faster in full sun, but they typically grow just fine in part sun. Do note that they are moisture loving, preferring to grow where the soil gets quite wet at times. If this is a relatively dry spot, that could explain the slow growth.

I'd be far more concerned about the appropriateness of the location relative to the house. You're asking for trouble. Although consider a medium tree (30–40', infrequently to 60'), it WILL move your porch(?) at some point.

If I were you, and your heart is set on having a catalpa, I would start anew with one planted in better spot and kill this one. Catalpas generally have moderate to fast growth, particularly when young, so you don't need to start big. In fact, the smaller the better usually.

Dargin
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Southern Catalpa: positive ID and suggestions

Post by Dargin » August 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm

Thanks a bunch for the info. The soil in that area holds moisture longer than any other spot in the yard (porch blocks a lot of sun), so I'm not sure what's slowing it down. And I'm wondering if it doesn't flower due to it's size.

But I get the main point; it certainly sounds like it needs to go before it becomes a problem. The person who planted it was told it was some type of shrub, so I think that explains the placement. It's too bad, it's a pretty unique sight in my neighborhood. Might just see about planting a new one if I can work out a spot.