Did unexpected frost in April my Magnolia Tree?

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
john5246
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Did unexpected frost in April my Magnolia Tree?

Post by john5246 » September 5th, 2018, 9:42 am

Around here in the midwest we had some nice warm weather in April. Everything seemed great, then out of nowhere we get a few days where the temp drop below freezing again. The Magnolia tree was starting to push out buds like it always does. After the few days of frost it seems to have stopped all the growth. It hasn't done anything all summer so I'm wondering if it's dead or if it might come back in the Spring. Since it's missing a season of growth will it be able to come back in the spring again? It's a well established 20yr old mangolia.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Did unexpected frost in April my Magnolia Tree?

Post by bpgreen » September 5th, 2018, 7:59 pm

I wouldn't think that a single ill timed frost would kill an established 20 year old tree. A tree species with traits like that would seem to be self-selecting for extinction.

I'm surprised no new buds formed. Are you saying that there were no leaves at all the entire year?

john5246

Post by john5246 » September 7th, 2018, 12:55 pm

bpgreen wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 7:59 pm
I wouldn't think that a single ill timed frost would kill an established 20 year old tree. A tree species with traits like that would seem to be self-selecting for extinction.

I'm surprised no new buds formed. Are you saying that there were no leaves at all the entire year?
correct there no leaves this year, is this normal if an unexpected frost comes by?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » September 7th, 2018, 3:08 pm

I think it's safe to say that the magnolia is a write off. I've experienced all sorts of miraculous tree recoveries due to extremes like the ridiculous winter we just had to mid-summer mail order shipments. A mature tree might leaf out a month or two late if the first bud set is nailed by a late freeze. But to have any hope that it might recover now in September or next spring is beyond wishful thinking. A tree cannot go a full year without leaves.

It's a shame, I know. Sorry for your loss. :-(

This is me
Grass Type: Front-SS Sunny Mix. Back-SS KGB Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by This is me » September 14th, 2018, 2:05 pm

try to snap a couple of branches. If it snaps like a dry twig, it's dead!
but honestly, if it hasn't bud out any leaves throughout the summer, it's likely gone.

john5246

Post by john5246 » October 4th, 2018, 11:52 pm

This is me wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 2:05 pm
try to snap a couple of branches. If it snaps like a dry twig, it's dead!
but honestly, if it hasn't bud out any leaves throughout the summer, it's likely gone.
nah it's gone, no point in snapping anything at this point until we are ready to dispose of it, thanks though