Tree Identification Help - Oak Variety?

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Tree Identification Help - Oak Variety?

Post by PW405 » November 3rd, 2018, 1:53 pm

Greetings members, this is a post I've been meaning to create for a while but it kept slipping my mind. I've wondered what type of tree this is ever since I moved in to this house a few years back.

First, a view of the full tree. I would guess height is roughly 40'-50'. Almost as wide, too.

Next, bark. Bark is relatively smooth. Estimated tree age is ~50 years. House was built in '62, but your guess is as good as mine as to when it was planted. I would assume it was relatively soon after the house was built.

Finally, an example of leaves from clipped from the tip of a branch. Paint stirring stick for size reference. Note - the tree does seem to produce acorns, but very few of them. You can see an acorn "cap" (whatever they're called) here.

Thanks in advance for any input. Let me know if I can provide additional info/pictures.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Tree Identification Help - Oak Variety?

Post by Marinegrunt » November 3rd, 2018, 7:19 pm

Do a Google search for a Laurel Oak and see what you think.

jimmo
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Level: Not Specified

Post by jimmo » November 28th, 2018, 11:01 pm

I'd say either a Willow Oak or a Laurel Oak given your location and the leaves. I confuse the two.

PW405

Post by PW405 » November 30th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 7:19 pm
Do a Google search for a Laurel Oak and see what you think.
jimmo wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 11:01 pm
I'd say either a Willow Oak or a Laurel Oak given your location and the leaves. I confuse the two.
OK Thanks for the suggestions - I'm not 100% positive, but I'm leaning towards the Laurel Oak. Willow oak has quite a few of the same characteristics, but the leaves seem a bit longer in shape.

I swear, this is the last tree in my area to drop leaves in the Fall. Here we are in December - all the pecan trees dropped leaves as soon as frost hit. The ol' Oak out front has JUST started to have some tips turn yellow. How fitting - a procrastinating tree to go along with the procrastinating home owner.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » December 18th, 2018, 6:52 pm

PW405 wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 4:17 pm
I swear, this is the last tree in my area to drop leaves in the Fall. Here we are in December - all the pecan trees dropped leaves as soon as frost hit. The ol' Oak out front has JUST started to have some tips turn yellow. How fitting - a procrastinating tree to go along with the procrastinating home owner.
I thought those Oaks with the pointed leaves (grown in places that don't get as cold in the Winter) never totally drop all their leaves. Do they turn colors before dropping?

PW405

Post by PW405 » December 30th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Green wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 6:52 pm

I thought those Oaks with the pointed leaves (grown in places that don't get as cold in the Winter) never totally drop all their leaves. Do they turn colors before dropping?
They have a fairly minimal change in color. Green to yellowish, and possibly a little brown when they drop. It will eventually drop all leaves... however it still has about 30% of the leaves as of today. Thus far, winter hasn't been too cold here. I think the lowest temp we've seen is about ~20° I'll try to post some pictures later if I can remember.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » January 1st, 2019, 9:46 pm

PW405 wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 12:58 pm
It will eventually drop all leaves... however it still has about 30% of the leaves as of today. Thus far, winter hasn't been too cold here. I think the lowest temp we've seen is about ~20° I'll try to post some pictures later if I can remember.
So it's not a type of Live Oak, I guess...?

PW405

Post by PW405 » June 11th, 2021, 5:09 pm

Random update that nobody asked for!

This winter, we had temps down in to the -20°range. If not an all-time record cold, was close enough. Unfortunately, I lost many mature bushes & giant Crepe Myrtles. The Oak tree out front was very late to sprout leaves this spring, but it appears the tips of all the branches have died. Leaves seem to be sprouting much further back on the main branches.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there much that can be done to improve the tree's health?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 11th, 2021, 6:37 pm

Wood that is definitely dead can be removed. Other than that, we just have to take nature as she comes.

Don't count out the crepe myrtles just yet. I have one that's just barely tolerant of my zone. It actually took a year off once, resprouting only the second year after an exceptionally harsh winter. I had no idea they could do that, but this one did. And they do seem to wait exceptionally long after hard winters to come back in the first place, and only from their deeper roots. Mine often doesn't regrow from old wood, but instead reprouts from the ground.

bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bolson32 » June 25th, 2021, 9:25 am

That's a real bummer because that was a beautiful tree.

Morph, do you have to remove the dead branch tips or will it fill back out around them eventually? I assume this thing should have a pretty strong recovery capacity as it's root system will be extensive and it still has plenty of leaves.