Seeking Advice on What Trees to Plant

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
gwpeaks
Grass Type: Fescue Blend
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Seeking Advice on What Trees to Plant

Post by gwpeaks » May 12th, 2021, 7:54 am

We recently had over 10 large trees removed from our front yard. They were too large and the process of cleaning up leaves, acorns, stick, and berries was just a never-ending pain. Now that they are gone and I'm waiting for my grass (fescue) to grow in good I'd like to start planning to plant a couple of small trees so the yard isn't completely bare. I'd like to plant only a couple and want something that will not grow over 20' or so that will not create another nightmare of leaves and such. This is my first yard and I'm not too savvy on landscaping so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I was considering either a dogwood, Bradford Pear, or Japanese Cherry tree but I have no experience with any of them. I'd also like a breed that won't prevent grass from growing around it if such a breed exists.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Seeking Advice on What Trees to Plant

Post by Masbustelo » May 15th, 2021, 10:48 am

Bradford pears are considered nuisance species by many.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 15th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Yeah, go over to other Web sites and say Bradford Pear. I'd like to see you annoy somebody who can't keep her fat mouth shut and thinks she's the world expert on everything.

I have one. If maintained--and it is an effort--and trained from a very young age, with older wood removed, you can keep it going for a fairly long time. Most people don't bother, so count on a thirty-year lifespan, and on having pieces break in heavy storms after age 15. The one next door came crashing down at around that age due to lack of maintenance right into my yard. They paid for the damage.

On balance, unless you're willing to work with it, I'd say no. But if you're going to put in the time and effort, they're not bad trees, just more for hobbyists.

Dogwoods suffer frequently from anthracnose, which is problematic in NC and surrounding states (including up here in PA, and what I lost my dogwood to).

Japanese cherries are fine--except for the Japanese beetle attacks. :-) And some disease problems here in the States. But they're pretty trees, and make sure to use GrubEx and put up beetle traps somewhere far enough away so as to attract beetles to the trap, not the trees. And encourage neighbors to do the same.

For your range, think magnolia as well--the 12 Girls series from Rutgers has a lot of promising cultivars. I have a Jane that I adore (and is perfectly tolerant of Pennsylvania weather). You have far more choices there than I do as I need them to be tolerant to Zone 6. Crepe myrtle is another possibility, with some of the more treelike cultivars in play. I can just barely keep the most hardy cultivars going up here, but do have one.

gwpeaks
Grass Type: Fescue Blend
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by gwpeaks » May 18th, 2021, 9:20 am

Thanks for the insight. I like the look of Bradford Pears but I'm not sure I want to devote the time to maintaining them based on what you said. I had considered Crepe Myrtles but I think I'll check out Magnolias first. As for Dogwoods, pretty much everyone I've spoken to has indicated the same as you in that they are prone to disease and hard to keep alive. I have a hard enough time keeping things alive in my yard as is.