Balsam fir - dormant or dead

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Balsam fir - dormant or dead

Post by bolson32 » August 4th, 2021, 9:17 pm

I planted half a dozen larger bare-root Balsam firs this spring. Life got in the way so I didn't pay the attention to them that I should have, add that to the historical drought we've had in the Midwest and they don't look good.

There's a few green spots but they're 98% orange. That said the needles haven't dropped and I've been watering them weekly now.

Does anyone know the drought tolerance of Firs? Are these goners and should I just save my time and give up watering them?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Balsam fir - dormant or dead

Post by MorpheusPA » August 5th, 2021, 1:22 am

Older firs have good drought tolerance. Younger firs...do not. Whips, which those are, have effectively no drought tolerance at all.

You can try and see if they make it but frankly, it's not looking good. That whip (which is not a fir) behind the fir will be just fine, however.

bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Balsam fir - dormant or dead

Post by bolson32 » August 5th, 2021, 6:47 am

Okay, that's what I figured. I'll plan on ordering to replace them this winter. If they make it, great. If not, I'll have stock at the ready.

And yea, the poplars I planted a little later are doing just fine. I was much more diligent with the water from the get go with those.