Deer spray for fruit trees

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Deer spray for fruit trees

Post by Adam_M » April 11th, 2022, 12:52 pm

Does anyone have experience with the "food safe" deer sprays? I've got an apple tree around (because it's pretty - fruit would be secondary I suppose) but I really wouldn't mind eating an apple or 2 off of it. I know I could fence it, but that hurts the aesthetic appeal, which is the primary reason it's there.

Are there alternate suggestions that don't involve planting fruit that deer don't like (already done, I've got some Paw paw's in the ground) or fences?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Deer spray for fruit trees

Post by MorpheusPA » April 15th, 2022, 2:46 pm

I use a "food safe" spray in my gardens to keep deer and rabbits off them--without that, I wouldn't have flowers. In my case, 1 tablespoon to 1.5 tablespoons Tabasco sauce in 1 gallon water, plus I add maybe 1/4 tsp Dawn or other liquid soap to help it stick, plus a few drops of cheap white glue from the dollar store.

Refresh after major rainfall. Animals rapidly discover that plants sprayed with it are disgusting and won't eat them unless they're starving; most animals really don't like hot (humans are most unusual in that regard).

In my case, 1 gallon lasts around 2-4 weeks depending on the weather in 2,000 square feet of gardens, completely planted with annuals.