Deer Resistant Showy Shrub Suggestions

Learn about evergreen and deciduous trees here
Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Deer Resistant Showy Shrub Suggestions

Post by Adam_M » April 10th, 2023, 7:55 am

I'm having a bit of trouble tracking down a few large shrubs - I could go 6-8 feet in height and width, that are relatively showy. I'd love to give rhododendrons/azaleas/mountain laurels a shot, but well ...deer.

I'm in southwest PA, the site gets partial sun, and there's a great layer of rich topsoil here (the only place in my lot where there is - this spot was fairly recently wooded) that sits on top of clay, and I assume will be high pH below the topsoil but I haven't tested it.

I'd like something with woody growth that will overwinter. Elderberry is the closest I've found to meeting all of those desires, but I use them elsewhere and don't really want an elderberry orchard. I've had good luck with crepe myrtle in one specific place, but this spot doesn't have the same exposure/warmth so I'm worried it wouldn't catch.

Thanks!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Deer Resistant Showy Shrub Suggestions

Post by MorpheusPA » April 10th, 2023, 2:03 pm

Lilac are reasonably deer resistant, but they'll nibble on them if nothing else is available. Newer lilacs are rebloomers (like the Bloomerang, which is of variable reliability in the reblooming range, reblooming spottily from summer through fall).

Most hollies are also deer resistant and can be fairly flashy, particularly the dual-tone. Heavier berrying bushes are also quite pretty.

Viburnum work, and with that stench, I wouldn't eat it either. Keep trimmed; they can get out of control.

Of them all, the butterfly bush might work quite well. Summer bloomer, many heights and colors available. They can be a bit invasive, but keeping after it a little cures that (I haven't had any trouble in twenty years with my Black Knight). Attracts everything that pollinates in gigantic numbers.

Avoid, avoid, avoid azaleas and rhododendrons, as you noted. Deer will gravitate toward both. Crepe myrtle in PA are spotty at best outside of the Philly area (I have one that manages in a protected spot), but you might if you winter-mulch with 12" or more of compost or mulch and remove it in April.