What shrubs and trees to spray iron on?

SNJlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

What shrubs and trees to spray iron on?

Post by SNJlawn » November 10th, 2012, 7:15 pm

What shrubs & trees do you spray iron on? Also what are the effects? Similar to turf? Color? Also ferrous ammonium sulfate or just ferrous sulfate by itself? Also when to spray? In the spring only, or fall too?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: What shrubs and trees to spray iron on?

Post by bpgreen » November 10th, 2012, 7:20 pm

I've sprayed my maple tree because it's sensitive to the high Ph soil here and tends to get chlorotic. I've never sprayed in the fall because the leaves will be dropping soon, anyway.

One thing to keep in mind is that iron can burn once the temperature gets up to about 80 or so. You also want to be careful to watch that the spray doesn't end up on the house, sidewalk, etc, since it can strain.

SNJlawn

Post by SNJlawn » November 10th, 2012, 7:35 pm

I actually wanted to spray a Japanese maple. I also wanted to spray a few gold thread cypress. They just seem to loose their color. I'm sure it has something to do with the ph, but maybe a foliar spray would give more "instant" results.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » November 10th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Be careful spraying roses. While some are quite happy with the foliar spray, many will get leaf burn.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » November 10th, 2012, 10:06 pm

I'm a spring/fall sprayer, and pretty much everything--all evergreens seem to like it, my oak doesn't mind, the Thuja are pleased, and the rose is tolerant (it's a Double Knockout). I don't spray annuals.

FAS or FS, whichever's in the sprayer. I do dilute it down more for the shrubs and trees, but in my case that's twisting a dial to change the output. No biggie.

SNJlawn

Post by SNJlawn » November 11th, 2012, 10:29 am

I don't have any roses so thats not a problem. Thanks for all the advice, next week when I spray the lawn, I'll spray the shrubs too.