Prepping Shrub Holes & Drainage

bepier
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Prepping Shrub Holes & Drainage

Post by bepier » May 22nd, 2015, 9:58 am

Hey guys - So been in my house about a year. The builder installed shrubs weren't what we were looking for long term - and on top of that weren't doing that well. I live in northern Georgia and while Andy & Logan Labs indicate I don't have clay soil - I still have my doubts. I need to do a percolation test - but my drainage sucks and I have a LOT of runoff from my irrigation.

SO - The wife and I decided to re-plant some new shrubs in our beds and try to get things moving in the right direction. I dug out a bunch of bushes last night and sure enough 12 inches down there was a TON of water. It's not draining! So my question in - how do I fix it?? I prepped some holes - dug out twice the size of the bush roots - and filled with top / garden mix soil in hopes this gives the roots room to grow. But I'm still concerned about the drainage issue.

Any ideas!? My nightmare is that none of these plants do well - and then I'm back at square one. I haven't really gotten going on all the new bushes yet - just transplanting old - so any input would be great!!!

New shrubs include - boxwoods, some rose variety similar to knock-outs, hydrangea. I had some ligustrum that wasn't doing great - and some gardenia that weren't doing great either. Area gets moderate sun - probably the least on the property - but enough in the afternoon / evening that I don't think sun is an issue.

Thanks! :hello:
Last edited by bepier on May 26th, 2015, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jp1092
Grass Type: KBG

Re: Prepping Shurb Holes & Drainage

Post by jp1092 » May 25th, 2015, 12:47 pm

I had this problem on my property in Alabama that I owned for over 20 years. the year before I moved and gave it to my son, I put in a 330' french drainage system. No more problems with standing or ground water. Even though the house in the back has a pool that is no longer functional and leaks into to my downward sloping yard. My son and I rented the equipment and did the work ourselves. Took several months but saved a ton of money and I know the french drain will work for decades. If you have drainage issues a french drain is the way to go. I ran mine to pop up valves just the yard side of the sidewalk.

Doug Green
Grass Type: i don't know

Re: Prepping Shrub Holes & Drainage

Post by Doug Green » January 12th, 2016, 10:52 am

I agree with jp1092. I had put in a french drain two years ago at my new property and have 0 problems with any kind of drainage.