Tick chemical control

Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tick chemical control

Post by Wally » May 6th, 2010, 7:11 am

Late May is the time for Tick treatment. What's a good product to use?

Will treatment also help with grubs?

rrobert22
Grass Type: KBG

Re: Tick chemical control

Post by rrobert22 » May 13th, 2010, 10:39 pm

I noticed my dogs getting slot of ticks this spring when it warmed up and I used some ortho max stuff for flea tick et al control just like last year at the perimeter of the yard, dogs don't get ticks now. They can't go in the woods due to an invisible fence. Every time I use it the dogs get way fewer ticks so I guess it works.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 13th, 2010, 10:47 pm

I tried Sevin, realizing that it was going to do a number on other insect populations, but restricted use to the back where the dogs go and only on the side with the problem (a neighbor whose lawn can hit a foot). It took care of it.

rainbows
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF and others mixed in

Post by rainbows » May 13th, 2010, 10:54 pm

dish soap works for almost all small pests

After the rain, I am going to put a barrier around the house using dish soap in a hose end sprayer. Gonna do it monthly in case rain washes it in.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » May 13th, 2010, 11:10 pm

Is tick-related Lyme Disease prevalent out there yet? The area I live in is one of the hottest hotspots for Lyme Disease. My wife has had it, I have a good friend with 80% hearing loss and nerve damage from it, and I've lost a 7-yr old Golden Retriever to it.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 13th, 2010, 11:21 pm

Yes, all of PA, NJ, and NY are Lyme prevalent areas. My mother just had to have one of her dogs tested; he came up negative. I was tested some years ago--also negative, then had the (now no longer available) vaccine.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » May 13th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Yeah - my dog had the vaccine. Got Lyme and died anyway.

texasweed

Post by texasweed » May 13th, 2010, 11:34 pm

This is a touchy subject.

Are you asking to keep ticks off your pets, or kill them in the yard?

If for the pets, then go to your vet and get some Front Line drops that you apply to the pet monthly.

Ok for the yard is where it gets touchy. There are no really good long term organic controls for ticks other than Pyrethrum. They work great a a one time spray and will kill all ticks and most other bugs on contact. Problem is it breaks down in 24 to 48 hours and gone. So it is a one-shot thing. If that appeals to you look for a spray product that contains Permethrin

Ok the most effective and long lasting is also the most controversial one called Carbaryl aka Sevin as it kills both target insects and beneficial. So does Pyrethrums, but Sevin stays around a while.

Ok before someone blast me about using Sevin let me say this. Ticks are nothing to play with and pose a serious threat, far more than Sevin does. Sevin is approved for over 100 food crops, and if you ever get infested with body lice, the shampoo the doctor will give you contains 1 gram carbaryl per 100 grams of product.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 13th, 2010, 11:37 pm

That's one of the reasons it was pulled--protection in human males is only about 70%. The ladies got somewhat luckier. I don't know about dogs.

The side effect of permanent rheumatoid arthritis was the other reason. I never had an issue, it was fairly rare, I just have the osteoarthritis that I'm genetically destined to have anyway (thanks Mom, Dad, all four grandparents, and so on...)
Ok before someone blast me about using Sevin let me say this. Ticks are nothing to play with and pose a serious threat, far more than Sevin does. Sevin is approved for over 100 food crops, and if you ever get infested with body lice, the shampoo the doctor will give you contains 1 gram carbaryl per 100 grams of product.
No blasting, beating, berating, bemoaning, bewailing, or other mean things that start with the letter "b." I weighed the consequences of Lyme disease against the limited and very minor risks of Sevin...and put down the Sevin.

Was I completely happy? Of course not. But the balance was strongly on the side of not getting the disease. The other insects just have to take one for the team on that part of the lawn.

appalachianturf
Grass Type: kentucky bluegrass

Post by appalachianturf » August 20th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Bifenthrin and imadacloprid are excellent ..no ticks after I treat the yard..contact and a systemic one two punch