My azaleas

virginiagal

My azaleas

Post by virginiagal » April 25th, 2016, 7:19 pm

I'm going to post some pictures of my azaleas.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: My azaleas

Post by bernstem » April 25th, 2016, 10:31 pm

:good: Very Nice!

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 4th, 2016, 2:28 pm

Pretty!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 4th, 2016, 2:31 pm

VERY NICE!

Got any tips? I JUST planted 4 red azaleas and I'm in love with them thus far - would love to see them get as big as those.

Right now, mine are in full sun - but in the years to come, they will be in a decent amount of shade. I'm concerned it may be too much sun for them in the short term.

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » May 4th, 2016, 4:57 pm

The azaleas were planted by the previous owners and they were full grown 20 years ago when we bought the place. We have done nothing to them except prune the ones around the house. Every year after blooming we have to cut those way down so we can see out the windows the rest of the year. Azaleas are not good foundation plantings (unless you get some that will stay small). Like the buttercups? This is the yard that only gets mows--whatever happens to grow is what's there.
Azaleas like acidic soil. You have alkaline, don't you? I wonder if you could make the soil around yours a little more acidic if possible. They like shade (these are mostly under pine trees) but there are plenty in sun that do fine.

A couple more pictures:

And a picture of what drew us there (in front of neighbor's house but we can use the beach):

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 5th, 2016, 12:57 pm

Yeah, my soil is very alkaline.

My thought was to mix in some elemental sulfur around the based of those plants (along with some hydrongeas) in the spring for a temporary, lower pH in that soil. BUT, I've never tried that. I was just trying to get them in the ground and rooted this spring before it gets too hot.

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » May 5th, 2016, 1:19 pm

I have acidic soil so I have never had to try to make soil more acidic. This website seems to have good information on azaleas, including how to deal with the lack of exchangable hydrogen:
http://rhodyman.net/rhodynho.php
What I gleaned from a quick skim was that a raised bed with acidic soil was a good idea. Use rain water instead of tap water, which is likely alkaline. Add sulphur at planting or under mulch in established plants.

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » May 28th, 2016, 7:51 am

HLG, how are your azaleas doing? I've been reading and it seems that one main problem with azaleas in higher pH soil is iron availability. So if you haven't done the sulphur, an easy thing to do would be use Milorganite. Cheers for chelated iron!

[size=75][b][i][ Post made via Android ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://aroundtheyard.com/forums2/images/mobile/Android.png[/img]

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 28th, 2016, 11:21 am

Well when the fence came down they crushed the new ones I planted. they are recovering so that's good. I planted some more that are doing well.

They are in full sun pretty much right now so I think that is not helping.